Forums Latest Members
  1. Ravineman May 7, 2016

I've been looking for a Speedmaster reduced. Found a watchmaker. - very few watches were on display but he had a VERY nice one for $ 3,700 + tax ..... $ 4,200 Canadian. It fit perfectly.

Had not seen many in my quest, I thought it might get sold if I hesitated so I reached for my wallet.
    Then I thought of all you.

I going back to talk to him. I think he'll open the case so I can take photos. Whats a fair price for us both.

Finrod Felagund likes this.
  2. sky21 May 7, 2016

Need to see the photos and get the reference number to give a better estimate. Off the top of my head for a reduced, I think you should reduce that price quite a bit.

efauser likes this.
  3. zrleopold May 7, 2016

That seems like about 2x-3x the price a reduced should be...

4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 7, 2016

One just sold the other day for $1200 and change from a reputable source here in California.

5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 7, 2016

Dear lord 4200 CAD for a speedy reduced?

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 7, 2016

My guess is it might be a grail, not a reduced.

7. ulackfocus May 7, 2016

You'd pay $4200 CAD for a Speedmaster Reduced Automatic?

Hey, I've got a sweet Seiko diver for $1000. It's a bargain compared to that Speedy Reduced, and worn by somebody who's almost famous.

.....okay, more like notorious.

JohnSteed, OMGRLX and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 7, 2016

To maybe explain a Grail vs a reduced to the OP

This is called the Grail for a few reasons which I'll provide a link later to that will explain.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/speedmaster-cal-1045-holy-grail--id2693069.htm

As you can see it has the hallmarks of a reduced. It's an automatic date with minutes marked on the dial. It is actually a whole other beast that is quite special. It would not be the first time that one of these has been referred to as a reduced in error.

This webpage describes this somewhat unknown offshoot of the speedy line and why it is actually really special in this version down at the bottom of the page.

http://www.chronomaddox.com/c1045_in_detail.html

Even if it is not this watch, it's an interesting speedy that flys under the radar and kind of cool to know about.

oddboy likes this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 7, 2016

if you can get a Holy Grail (ref 376.0822) for that price, it's a steal!

if you're paying that much for a Reduced, you're getting ripped off.

what is it that attracts you to the reduced? automatic movement? smaller size? Lower price? there might be other options depending on your answer..

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Ravineman May 15, 2016

So .... I went back, but the seller would not reduce his price. He also would not open the case so I could take some pictures.
    I left him my phone number to call me when he is willing to open the case for me and accept $ 2500 - tax included.
    He seemed completely uninterested so I am not holding my breath.

I drove to European Jewellers at Yorkdale - one of Canada's largest Omega ADs, to look at their Omegas.
    The Speedmaster Professional with the solid back was "discounted" to $5,600 plus 13% tax .
    It was a beauty of course, but I actually prefer the reduced.

If anyone reading this is in Toronto Canada with a Speedmaster reduced for sale, please let me know.
    I promise to own it forever : - )

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 15, 2016

I don't have one for sale, but I see them once in a while in the pawn shops on Church St. I've also seen fake PO's there too, so take your time to confirm it if you find one.

good luck!

12. Ravineman May 15, 2016

Yes I have been there weekly for a month and the were no Speedmasters there.
    I would be extremely cautious about buying any watch from these pawn shops.

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 15, 2016

What kind of watchmaker/jeweler will not open a watch for a customer? The answer I think is; a shady one. It would be like going to buy a car and the dealer saying no test drive and you can't look under the hood either. I would bet he has a no return policy as well.

14. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 15, 2016

You can buy these on Ebay all day for half of what you counter-offered. There are plenty of reputable sellers there.

15. DON May 15, 2016

You should check out Ebay for these. Sell for a lot less than retail brick stores.

One from Japan - $1300 with bracelet

One from France for $906 without

Seller from Japan has one listed. Never dealt with him, but 100% feedback with 3000+ sales

Will most likely get it for a lot cheaper than buying in Toronto. Thats why I buy online

DON

16. Niklas Thinks snap ring pliers are for opening casebacks May 15, 2016

I bought one on e bay last week for 1499 USD with original ss brace plus a leather strap probably not the cheapest but I'm happy :)

17. Ravineman May 17, 2016

The only way I can identify the Speedmaster reduced is the winding crown and chono pushers are not in a straight line.

I do have an easy question which I am sure someone here can easily answer ( yes, I did search a while )
    What years were the "reduced" made ? This may help in my negotiations when I do find one for sale.\

Thanks

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 17, 2016

Minute numbers on the dial are a dead giveaway