Forums Latest Members
  1. PRW Apr 28, 2022

Hi all,
    Has anyone any got any long term experience of wearing the alligator strap. I absolutely love the watch on this strap but am wondering how long it will last with daily wear? Have any of you worn one of these daily over a long period of time? Or should I box it up and wear the ss bracelet daily? Looking forward to your responses.
    PXL_20220428_180618485.jpg

sah likes this.
  2. PRW Apr 28, 2022

I've read reports that you can only expect a couple of years with daily wear. Wow! that's an expensive strap!

3. gbesq Apr 28, 2022

In my experience, the strap materials that hold up best are teju lizard, cordovan and ostrich. I also find that crocodile is more durable than alligator.

4. Duckie Apr 28, 2022

I recommend simply enjoying the strap for as long as you see fit and re-evaluate your expectations and requirements after personal experience. There's no point keeping it stashed away and not enjoying it.
    All hide straps will darken over time and lose their beauty before they reach any sort of condemnation limit and replacement costs can vary wildly.
    My experience is that they only last about 2 years with daily wear, which is generally in accordance with industry expectations.
    They also don't fare well if they get wet but calf leather is more durable in that regard.

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 28, 2022

Try some Lexol all leather conditioner. Rub both sides with a cotton rag with Lexol. Let it dry over night then take a shoe brush to it. Put it on your watch and wear the hell out of it

PRW likes this.
  6. 502 to right Apr 28, 2022

I would expect from 1-2 years. Because your strap is on a deployant I would guess more like 2 years. A standard buckle will be much harder on a strap.

How hot and humid your environment is will affect longevity as well. Heat + perspiration = shorter strap life. I live in a place with cold winters so I tend to wear straps more often then as I sweat almost not at all when it's cold out.

All that said, if you like the strap just wear it until it's spent.

PRW likes this.
  7. Dan S Apr 28, 2022

Is that a dive watch? On an alligator strap? :eek:

8. Donn Chambers Apr 28, 2022

It’s not alligator, but a waterproofed leather with an alligator grain. If you look at the Omega site, it says “leather” for the material, not alligator.

People always act like leather will fall apart if exposed to even a minor bit of water. I had a pair of leather Red Wings I wore for about 20 years in snow, mud, and rain and never had a problem with the leather — and I didn’t reproof them as much as I should. Only reason I got rid of them was because by feet grew half a size as a got older and they wouldn’t fit right anymore!

Dan S likes this.
  9. Dan S Apr 28, 2022

Getting leather wet isn't an issue for me, I've owned dozens of pairs of leather hiking boots. However, I'm absolutely horrified by the notion of a leather strap on a dive watch. What's next, sneakers with a business suit? :D

MtV likes this.
  10. MtV Apr 28, 2022

Or NATOs on dress watches? :eek:

noelekal and Dan S like this.
  11. OmegaBHR Apr 28, 2022

On a deployant, it should last more than 2 years comfortably provided you dont get it wet too often. If it has a rubber lining it will last even longer.

PRW likes this.
  12. sah Apr 29, 2022

I love my waterproof waxed sealed Hirsch on my Sea Dweller or Seamaster. 4 years of ocean and pool. Looks new. image.jpg AE183537-373F-4B00-BF68-E5C3C09CAA63.jpeg

Edited Apr 29, 2022
    MauricioNO and PRW like this.
  13. PRW Apr 29, 2022

Phil Collins gave us that look many years ago and actually pulled it off, looking really quite cool.

14. arno Apr 29, 2022

I’ve been wearing my CK2998 like 2/3 of the time and another 3/4 on it alligator strap since i bought it brand new back in 2016. The strap lasted 4 or 5 years. Then i bought one from RIOS as i didn’t want to put crazy money on the Omega one.

15. gbesq Apr 29, 2022

I'm a big fan of RIOS. They make a variety of quality straps at very fair prices. I think that many of the straps in their exotic skins line are among the best values available from any manufacturer.

16. PRW May 5, 2022

Going to last me a lifetime.
    PXL_20220505_180957213.jpg

sah and Jcbenr like this.
  17. arno May 6, 2022

The breaking point on mine is where the tang buckle makes a pressure/curve on the holed part of the strap, which i unlikely to happen with folding clasp straps, which will last much longer.

18. Watch my Whisky May 6, 2022

Longer than the alligator had it, generally.

Thunder Dump and Trog like this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 6, 2022

According to wildfile.org, the average lifespan of an American alligator is pretty long. I suppose that farmed alligators live much shorter lives, but you have to figure at least 10 to 20 years to yield enough hide to make the cost of raising them worth it.

So take good care of your Gators.
    gatorcpa

20. scapa May 6, 2022

Nice -- which Hirsch is that?

I use an Ayrton and Artem sailcloth with my AT41, since I'm not really a bracelet guy, but that Hirsch is a beauty.

To the OP: I've had a few alligator straps, but tended to wear them only in the cooler months, and then swap out for the spring/ summer. That about doubles their life, I suppose, especially with deployant. Yours is a beauty and a fine fit with the watch.

PRW likes this.