Forums Latest Members

All original UG Polerouter on Gay Freres bracelet - how much is it worth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. levkov Dec 8, 2016

Hi All,
    I got this beauty from an antiques dealer in Serbia - all original, untouched (might have seen some polishing in the past, but not even sure about that). Even the plexiglas is the original one, with the "U" logo in the middle.
    I do have an idea about Polerouter values, also about UG Gay Freres bracelets for Nina and Space Compax models and their stellar prices.
    But to be honest I've never come across a Polerouter on an original GF bracelet? The bracelet appears to be full length (of close to it) and it also has the original UT end links. 18mm lug width.
    I have somebody interested, but I don't want to sell it for peanuts..
    How much do you think the watch would be worth with the bracelet?
    Many Thanks,

IMG_2636.jpg IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2643.jpg IMG_2648.jpg IMG_2656.jpg IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2663.jpg IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg
    Jwit likes this.
  2. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 8, 2016

levkov and JohnSteed like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 8, 2016

Given condition, somewhere in the $400-600 range, in my view.

levkov likes this.
  4. peleti Apr 2, 2017

Hello! If by any chance u sell it iM the buyer.
    Thanks

5. levkov Apr 22, 2017

I didn't want to start a new thread, this time I need some help with determining the age of the same watch.
    Now, the problem I've run into is that the movement serial no. is only 6 digits, shouldn't it be 7?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

IMG_5063_2.jpg IMG_5063s.jpg

6. Mazoue Apr 22, 2017

The serial number is on the caseback. I can see the number in the sixth photo of your original post but I can't make out what it says - I'm sure you'll be able to read it using a loupe.

The Gay Freres bracelet is dated the 4th quarter of 1966 although I couldn't say if it was original to your watch.

levkov likes this.
  7. Diabolik Apr 22, 2017

On what planet is that ? ::confused2::

On planet earth, that is an ultra low ball. Add $800 to that ...

Edited Apr 22, 2017
    levkov likes this.
  8. levkov Apr 22, 2017

Of course, thanks so much! I'm such an amaeur! It was very very hardly legible, even with a loupe I just about made it out.
    So, there are two numbers on the back:
    869113/02
    So that dates it around 1965/66 is that right?
    Therefore it is also likely that the bracelet is original to the watch. Yaaaaaayyy! ::psy::

9. Diabolik Apr 22, 2017

So,

Original gf bracelet,
    nice patina on dial,
    sought after reference (close to polerouter subs),
    signed crystal
    Reference and serial visible as well as emblem makes it a winner.

I think you have hit the jackpot !

FYI
    there is a well known supplier that sells just the signed crystals for close to $1000 and if you put a couple of UW end links on bracelet and you have a very desirable combination that Commands extortionate figures !

God luck

levkov likes this.
  10. levkov Apr 22, 2017

Thanks Diabolik,

I had a gut feeling (well, right, supported by some facts) that there's something special about this piece, when I opened the box the postman brought.
    I might actually keep it for a bit longer now, no hurry...

The jackpot would be a Sub though, or shall I risk to say a Space Compax! :) Not that I'm not happy to find out about this beauty, very grateful.. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!
    Lev

11. Severin Apr 22, 2017

I also agree that this is a very nice combo you've picked up. Since the OP raised the question about polishing, I agree also that it has seen some polish, but not in a show-stopper sense. The case on these models features a brush finish. The brush appears to be gone on this watch. Figure 26 of my other thread shows some examples, some polished, other not. The dial here has some patina which is nice, but also has what looks like spotting (moisture related perhaps?) as well as some flaking. Lovely watch and bracelet combination, for sure, but the dial and case are far from pristine. Should command a very good price, notwithstanding, given the current market.

12. Oku Apr 22, 2017

by the way. The number with 6 digits on the pic "pat +329805+" is the number of the microtor patent.

levkov likes this.
  13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2017

Hi

I do not see the relationship to the Polerouter Sub.. A Polerouter date is a sought after reference? I really did not know that .... Best thing I can say, is i would not pay alot for this style/ ref watch.

also a signed UG crystal for 1000$ , for what case reference is that for? I dont think it would be for the watch above...

I am just trying to get to a common ground on your evaluation...

how about this... @Diabolik How much would you pay for the OP watch posted?

That might be a fairer question to answer....

I would not buy the watch at 600$.

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

14. Diabolik Apr 22, 2017

The reference of a sub is 869109. This is a couple of references after that and would be of interest to the polerouter collector.

I believe that polerouter case fits a 31.4mm crystal. You should find that the crystal fitted on this polerouter also fits the sub. That is what is why some sellers, especially parts suppliers will put a premium on an original UG signed crystal.

Common ground ?

Bill, you are valuing a GF bracelet and a polerouter watch at $600? Find me a UG signed GF bracelet with end links for that for that (as you do sell them) and I will take it.

valjoux72 and levkov like this.
  15. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2017

Hi @Diabolik
    I already answered that question... I would not pay more then 600$ for the combo... Please answer mine...So How much would you pay for it ? Put your money were your Post is...

I have been quietly watching people ask values and offer opinions.. that something is worth "x" or "z" .... I find if I say I would pay "x" it more realistic in my opinion.

Now back to your comment...
    "Bill, you are valuing a GF bracelet and a polerouter watch at $600? Find me a UG signed GF bracelet with end links for that for that (as you do sell them) and I will take it. "

specifically "(as you do sell them)"

What exactly do I sell ?

Just because a reference number is close numerically to another model that has a following... does not automatically increases it value..

If the bracelet can be used on another model and as you pointed out with different end pieces... then there is value to the bracelet for someone who has the other watch and or the correct end pieces..

The comment that this case might share a crystal with a dive watch ( that would a interesting for a dress sports having the same crystal as a Diver ).. as a dive crystal is typically alot thicker and might have a heavy duty armor ring or a flange to fit it in place.

I am also jaded to the fact I dont this this case design is as attractive as some of the other Polerouter case designs... Look at the Polerouter Super. If there would be a cross over from a dress case to a diver... I would think it would be with a Polerouter Super as its a ruggedized case design and was also sold with UG GF bracelet......

These are just my opinions... your mileage may vary..

To the OP , if you like the watch that is what counts... If your looking to Buy then sell right away... this sounds like more of a new dealer FAQ .. then a collector thread...

Bill Sohne

16. Diabolik Apr 22, 2017

Sorry bill

Not playing ....

:)

levkov likes this.
  17. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2017

Hi @Diabolik
    Lets have a quick recap.

You posted your opinion. I posted mine and asked a simple question... you asked me again and still did not answer mine. Then turn up the heat. I find it more then a little insulting that you comment I am a seller of something.. I ask what ? It is as if you are implying that I have a "conflict of interest ". Your answer of "Sorry Bill Not playing ... " is not an acceptable answer to me as this is a not a game.

i think I have been straight forward and clear. If you do not want to conduct yourself in the same manner...

Just to be " open book " and if there is a language barrier...
    I am not upset about having different opinion on a watch , a value , if i like it or not...

I am disturbed that you have implied on the forum that I have some sort of conflict... and that I will not stand for.

regards

Bill Sohne

18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 23, 2017

Apparently we have very different standards when it comes to condition.

I see a dial that is marked by spots of soiling and possibly worse (around the center pinion), coupled with a case and movement that are also far from being in "excellent" condition. The bracelet appears to me to have some stretch to it, which obviously degrades its value. Hands and lume dots show plenty of degradation as well.

Furthermore, while I am not a Polerouter expert, I would be willing to bet more than a few dollars that the Polerouter Sub crystal is different than those used on regular Polerouters, and for the reasons that Bill outlined above.

With regards to the reference number of the subject watch being close to that of Sub models, I find the suggestion that it would make the watch more valuable to be ludicrous, along with the idea that a signed crystal for these common models might be worth anywhere near $1000.

Given the number of Polerouters that circulate through the market, I stand by my original assessment, and have no doubt that with a little patience, much better example could be found for around what some apparently value this one at.

Regards,

Tony C.

Edited Apr 23, 2017
    ARP488 likes this.
  19. Diabolik Apr 23, 2017

Thanks for that Tony. Best close the subject and move on ...

::facepalm1::

20. Diabolik Apr 23, 2017

Bill

just so it is clear "as you do sell them" is a tongue in cheek comment and does not imply that you actually sell bracelets or anything else. If that has caused some sort of offence or injury, then I apologize and should have maybe worded it differently but it was late and written in haste.

My statement regards value stands.

As to what I would pay, I really don't understand what you are attempting to open up with that. However, if it helps, I would certainly buy a bracelet but would not be interested in the watch. I had the bug and have owned quite a few. I have now sold them on (around 18-24 months ago) and can confirm that all the ones I sold (working and in reasonable to good condition) went for much more that has been quoted (head only, no bracelet but a decent leather band).

I hope this closes the matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.