Forums Latest Members

SOLD All Original 1969 Seiko 7005-8030 MACV-SOG

1. bigsom Jan 30, 2018

After learning about this reference last year, I was very excited to find one. Unfortunately, it just doesn't make it into the rotation and so it should go to a new home where it will be worn. You can read and watch videos about the Seiko 7005-8030 online (Spencer Klein has some great videos on youtube), or see references to it in in the book "Running Recon". This watch dates to 1969, slightly earlier than most of the 7005-8030s that i've seen which date to 1970 or later.

This one is all original, one of the most original examples I've come across in collecting Seiko watches.

Dial:
    Lovely untouched dial with beautiful silver dial text (see macros). The tritium lume plots (confirmed with a Geiger-Muller counter) are all original with beautiful yellow patina and texture.

Hands: It is common and expected that the tritium hands patina to a subtle dirty gray with these watches, and the hands on this watch are in great shape. No significant corrosion and with only a little bit of lume creep as is common with Seikos of this era.

Case:
    Never polished with scratches but no major dings to speak of. The case edges are sharp and in great condition. Case back with Seiko Suwa and well defined markings. Case measures 36.1x40.2 mm with my digital calipers.

Crystal: Original acrylic seiko crystal. It's been buffed slightly with polywatch but has a few marks which are deeper and a small crack (not open to the air) at 6 o'clock. I've tried to keep the watch as original as possible to its time and wear, so I'll leave it up to the new owner if they want to replace the crystal. I personally wouldn't as I don't think it detracts from the watch at all.

Crown: Original with all teeth, sharp and without wear. Pulls out smoothly and easily.

Movement: Running well keeping +10 s/d flat on the timegrapher. Service history is unknown and as with all vintage watches I recommend a service if you're going to wear the watch regularly. Quick set day feature works correctly.

Strap:
    Currently mounted on an 18mm Rios vintage style strap which I think suits the watch nicely. The strap is included in this sale.

Price:
    Offered at 575 USD shipped in the USA with USPS Priority fully insured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next shot is with a UV flashlight on the dial:

[​IMG]

This next shot is taken 4 seconds after withdrawing the UV flashlight from the dial:

[​IMG]

Edited Jan 30, 2018
    Looneytoons, Flatfoot, rbob99 and 4 others like this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 30, 2018

that is badass, GLWS. Seiko...the last bargain in the vintage watch world.

Looneytoons, sdre, rbob99 and 4 others like this.
  3. MikeMan2727 Jan 30, 2018

Probably not for long with watches like this!

bigsom likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 30, 2018

Never seen a “c” case Seiko with a crown at 3.

Seikos of this vintage are known for still having strong lume. I’ve got one that is unreal from this period.

Great piece !

Looneytoons and bigsom like this.
  5. CdnWatchDoc Jan 30, 2018

Some of the information I have read about these models are captivating! As are the personal stories that "accompany" the watch. I received a copy of the Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns, and I keep looking for Seikos...

bigsom likes this.
  6. bigsom Jan 30, 2018

These are indeed historically and personally very interesting watches. Thanks for all the comments and interest!

OHPF

MikeMan2727 likes this.
  7. bigsom Jan 30, 2018

Sold! Thanks OF and the mods!

Foo2rama likes this.