Forums Latest Members
  1. lorijohnsangel Nov 18, 2015

image.jpeg I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about this watch that I bought in a box of old watches at a yard sale for $5? I have tried to research it but so far have had no success. Any info at all would be helpful! Thanks guy's

2. wsfarrell Nov 18, 2015

3. Canuck Nov 18, 2015

Suspicions confirmed! The dial has a bunch of meaningless information on it. Generalities that are designed to overwhelm the viewer with the feeling that it is a significant watch. Did anyone notice the omission of one significant bit of information? Can you tell us what was omitted!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 19, 2015

Jewel count ;)

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2015

Writing unbreakable on a watch dial is just asking for trouble, I mean someone's going to take you up on that

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 19, 2015

Pin levers were very robust, but the unbreakable refers to the white alloy mainspring specifically. I suppose you could call it false advertising, because of course white alloy mainsprings do break, but compared to the relatively fragile and brittle blued steel springs that preceded them, they were considered nearly unbreakable.

The term "unbreakable mainspring" has gone out of use over the years, but I still see old packages with NOS springs that are labeled this way...

[​IMG]

As you can see "unconditionally" guaranteed not to break in the watch!! :)

7. Canuck Nov 19, 2015

Bingo! To advertise on the dial that there is only one jewel in the watch would put the lie to all the other fluff they put on the dial! I've uploaded a picture of my "HORMILTON" (sic) which is a similar fake. Pin lever, one jewel. Notice that the dial says 21, but they were careful enough to not say 21 what! But everything on the dial is fake!

image.jpeg

ConElPueblo likes this.