Forums Latest Members

"Aged" lume: cheesy, or aesthetic high point?

1. M'Bob Mar 23, 2017

The Trilogy script on the dials: everyone agrees that's a home-run, right?

What about the brown lume? It's been discussed amidst a whole lot of othe issues relevant to the Basal 2017 releases, but let's sort out the opinions more concretely.

On the one hand, it's cheesy, right? It's made to look like aged Radium, and Radium doesn't look like that when new. And it's a new watch, of course. So how many years would it likely take to get that way?

On the other hand, maybe it's why distressed furniture is popular: some people like to have a new thing, that looks old. But...the new cases have no patina. So it's like a 1957 watch, that sat in a drawer or safe, but was never used. Is that your idea of an aesthetic pinnicle for this watch? Are the lume in the Trilogy watches meant to represent the absolute highest visual ideal of each model?

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  2. Perseus Mar 23, 2017

Some people like it some people don't. One thing is certain...we'll never stop discussing it.

Riviera Paradise and OMGRLX like this.
  3. M'Bob Mar 23, 2017

Implicit in my post, I thought. What are your feelings about it? A fan, not, or, as some would say, "could care less?"

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

I personally like it but only in some cases on some watches, generally speaking my preference tends to be no lume in general and metal dial furniture as I've always found luminova to be generally pretty crap at the best of times and to never be charged when I actually want it to be. What I really disliked was that greenish lume we had on watches for a while, I think it just looked weird. White lume on the Moonwatch is ok, and looks appropriate as it does on most sports watches but if the piece is meant to have a vintage feel to the extent that even the dial is slightly brown as these new trinity LEs are, I think white would look too stark.

g-boac likes this.
  5. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 23, 2017

I understand why some people dislike it - patina is typically "earned" through the years and is one of the most prominent unique factors when buying a vintage watch. It's rare to find two who have aged alike.

Now, with that out of the way - I'm a vintage nut and have no problem with faux lume, mainly because the new materials used for luminosity don't have the capability to ever age like that. They'll still look like they do now in 30 years. So the only way to add the warmth of nice "patina" to the dial is to go with the "faux" approach. I prefer that warmth to a sterile, bright white look from the indices, so even a purist like myself can admit that the fake patina just looks better.

Superdoc, chows99, adi4 and 9 others like this.
  6. ctime3 Mar 23, 2017

I like it. I would only not like it if it was not legible. I know this is a real stating the obvious answer.

7. micampe Mar 23, 2017

I like it and I don’t understand why it is such a big deal for people who don’t like it.

Riviera Paradise and Perseus like this.
  8. Perseus Mar 23, 2017

I really like it on some watches if it's done correctly. For example I have a 300mc and I think with the heritage design and the right lume color it's perfect. In contrast the Tudor Pelagos LHD is a cutting edge modern dive watch and lume looks like it was soaked in coffee at best or something that belongs in the restroom at worst.

SM300 01.jpg

[​IMG]

9. chich Mar 23, 2017

I love vintage looking lume and have no issues with it on a new watch - it's a style that I'm after, who cares about why that colour is present? The reality is that superluminova will never age and change colour in that way so we can only have it if it was planned for. Best of both worlds in my opinion!

10. wsfarrell Mar 23, 2017

Nope. One of the worst aspects of many "homage" watches is the fake aged lume color. As CFrog said above, you gotta earn it. Hard to believe Omega is doing this.

11. U5512 Mar 23, 2017

People buying new watches want the watch to look fresh (white lume) rather than a rustic looking one. It's not a big deal to me either as I love wearing watches with a touch of the by gone era.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. lillatroll Mar 23, 2017

I like it but I don't consider it to be faux or fake patina. I think it is a nod to the past for new interpretations of classic watches. I think a lot of people would be passing on the triple 60ths if they had glaring white lume on them

13. g-boac Mar 23, 2017

@ChicagoFrog @dsio @lillatroll - agree with all the points raised, and very well put.

I think taken as a whole, the aged lume and dial were tastefully done, aesthetically pleasing, and overall balance the trilogy watches perfectly. Green or white luminova just would not have looked right.

OMGRLX likes this.
  14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 23, 2017

Both of these are right - it's the first modern watch I've ever purchased (or at least reserved) and if it had been SuperLuminova or just pure white lume, I probably would have passed. Would have just looked odd.

15. Perseus Mar 23, 2017

Who isn't doing it now?

16. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 23, 2017

I used to be against lume designed to look like patina. And based purely on principles, I can still see the argument against it. But at one point I owned both the SM300MC and the FOIS at the same time and I eventually came to greatly prefer the look of the SM300MC. The FOIS looked too "sterile".

bazamu likes this.
  17. micampe Mar 23, 2017

Lume can be any color. Nothing says it must be white. There are watches with red or even black lume.

Egatdagi and adi4 like this.
  18. abrod520 Mar 23, 2017

I agree that it's a good idea on some watches, not so much on others. I personally would be weirded out by the re2915 if it had white lume; it'd look like a franken with a replacement dial.

In the case of the SM300 MC, I personally like the lume but think maybe a version with modern white lume might be a good addition to the line.

bazamu likes this.
  19. M'Bob Mar 23, 2017

Like it on the SM300. I think it would look goofy on my FOIS. I think it works on the Trilogy watches - the designers probably asked themselves, what looks best, and maybe what do the collectors like best...and if you read the numerous posts about how everyone loves intact, aged lume on their vintage pieces, you can see the rationale for them choosing to do this.

20. KstateSkier Mar 23, 2017

Pelagos, SM300, and the new 60ths LEs look pretty spectacular with the aged lumes. I'm a fan.