Forums Latest Members
  1. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Nov 5, 2017

When I first saw this up for auction today, I thought it was possibly a patek, and Agassiz a retailer...however as I'm sure many of you know Agassiz is now known as Longines.
    They made a pocket watch version with special enamel dials for Churchill, Truman, De Gaulle and Stalin as commissioned gifts at the end of WW2. I believe the movement for the watch was made by Louis Cottier who made only 400 odd movements in his lifetime, which I believe including those for Patek. His design for the world time, with the rotating 24hr inner bezel has not been bettered and is still used today.
    A rarely seen seen and significant watch, which I believe is from the estate of the original owner. Another rare find at a local auction hse, but of the polar opposite to the 2 speedies seen recently. Will be interesting to see where it lands.
    PS
    Bidding following a similar pattern to the brown dial 2988. I.e. Some action upfront.
    Also it's on 2 sites - live auctioneers and invaluable, both showing different values for bidding. Not sure how they manage their bidding with the auction, but may explain the change in hammer price shown for 2988. I've also seen incorrect hammer $ quoted on these sites vs actual sales at the local auction hse.

IMG_0230.PNG

2. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Nov 5, 2017

And sold...Bargain

IMG_0234.PNG

3. dodo44 Nov 5, 2017

Agassiz ran parallel to Longines. They mostly made pocket watches. Do you know for how much it went? I entertained the idea of bidding but with the dial condition, decided to pass. Also, for a movement service, one would presumably ask Patek to do it, which would cost an arm and a leg.

4. dodo44 Nov 5, 2017

Not a bargain but a rare specimen. At that price, maybe a Patek owner will use it for parts ;)

5. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Nov 5, 2017

I was half joking re the price, and wanted to see what people thought as I couldn't find any recent sales to gauge price, however the last few I observed were over 15k USD hammer way back in 2008 if my memory serves me correctly, albeit with better dials.
    I'm sure any competent and experienced watch maker could service it.
    But I'll leave it to the watch makers to comment.
    But yes rare and interesting watch, and good to read about the history of Agassiz and the world time watch.
    Glad someone else was also interested.

dodo44 likes this.