Forums Latest Members
  1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 19, 2015

No dingos?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    red crowned and Lukeeesteve like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

Man I killed a huntsman the other day about 8 inches wide, bloody things do my head in because you kill one and you know there's 10 of his friends watching you from some crevice.

Those Plovers are mean spirited aggressive bastards too, we've got them all around here and when they decide to camp in your yard they'll go for anything up to large dogs and cars.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 19, 2015

Who's a huntsman?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

Nasty looking spider that can't really hurt you but will scare the shit out of you when you climb into the shower at 5:30AM in the morning and don't see him sitting on the wall behind your head until you've already started shampooing your hair.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 19, 2015

Oh sh... ! :confused:

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 19, 2015

They scare you even more when they crawl out from behind the sun visor as you're driving along a country road at 100kph!

I think my brake pedal is about an inch lower than original, and I can qualify for the "bailed out of a moving car" award.

One of my mates had one drop on his lap when driving in the CBD. He actually had to change his undies.

Speedmasterfan88 and rhetoric like this.
  7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

Just looked that up. Unpleasant.

8. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 19, 2015

:confused: There's pictures on the net of Ash in the shower with shampoo in his hair? :eek:

CanberraOmega likes this.
  9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Feb 20, 2015

Nice shots. The Blue Tongue Lizard and the bats are my tops.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2015

Huntsman...as stated not dangerous, but freaking huge by Canadian standards...we only have small spiders here thankfully.

Here is one we caught years ago at my brother-in-law's place:

[​IMG]

I have heard it said by scientists that you are never more than a meter away from a spider. If that's the case, I don't want it to be one of these...or a white tail, a redback (unless it's the beer!), or Sydney funnel web...

God these things creep me out...

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2015

I'm amazed you didn't crash...I probably would have.

12. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 26, 2015

This is as scary as they get here. 2013-09-05 15.12.36.jpg

Speedmasterfan88 and JimInOz like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 15, 2015

Well hasn't he (or she) grown. Now well over 30cm (12') nose to tail, too much trouble to measure soo I just estimated.

BBT.JPG

14. RCAFBuster Dec 15, 2015

The blue tongues are an excellent lizard, very placid, but can move fast when they want to. We've had one come in the house looking for a bit of cool.
    Cheers,
    Buster

RegF likes this.
  15. yande Dec 16, 2015

All the best for the season Jim!
    And everyone else.
    Mark

JimInOz likes this.
  16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 16, 2015

That's a pretty small one!

RegF likes this.
  17. Canuck Dec 16, 2015

We live in an alpine climate on the western Canadian prairies, 3,500 feet above sea level, about 100kms east of the Rocky Mountains. Fortunately, our climate is such that we don't get the kind of "visitors" that many of you get. However, in an area about 150 kms north east of us, we have a provincial park where rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, and other species that I am certain many of you get, abound image.jpeg . Birds of more species than I can count do visit our bird feeder, particularly during our typical winter. We live about 3kms from the largest provincial park in Canada, that is within city boundaries. At its western end, it ties in with Kananaskis provincial,park that is centred in the Rockies. We get a lot of mule deer on our cul de sac- up to 7 at a time on our front lawn. The picture was taken at an across the street neighbours place. We get bobcats, coyotes, black bears, cougars, lynx,, and the odd wolf in the area, but fortunately, never where we live.

JimInOz likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 17, 2015

I remember when we were on holiday in Canada a couple of years ago. We had a waterfront cabin at the Fairmont Lake Jasper and it was a real eye opener for us to see lots of elk wandering along the lake shore just grazing. All about 50 feet in front of me as I enjoyed a sunset drink on the balcony.

Ah, memories.

RegF likes this.
  19. yande Dec 17, 2015

I was bitten by one of these "huntsmen" somewhat larger than this one, some years back, in between my index and middle finger. It drew blood, but no other affects. After moving some items in my shed today, I noticed a "Red Back" Spider limping away on the floor. It must have been close to me. We have to be careful down here, for the prevalence of Red Back Spider bites have Quadrupled this year, according to a Radio Show I heard. Basically, don't put your hands anywhere they can not be seen, and wear gloves in the garden. Here's a pic of the FIRST "Red Back I found downstairs, last year.

OF Red Back Spider IMG_2000.jpg
    RegF likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2015

These guys come by once in a while. Greased lightning, if they find a squirrel more then 30ft from a tree, he's dead.
    2389.jpg 2391.jpg