Forums Latest Members

Aeromexico flight and watch experience

1. cvera Jun 4, 2017

Hello everyone,

I just got back from a trip to Mazatlan Mexico and the entire experience was mostly great with the exception of three watches being stolen.

From two separate people/checked in bags and one watch being stolen at TSA in Phoenix.

Now I took my planet ocean on my wrist because I believe there's always a risk of stolen goods on checked in baggage, and I wore it every day with no problems whatsoever.

Watches that were stolen and how:

1) I placed a Lacoste watch inside a foam travel case in the checked in bag. It was missing from the foam travel case when I arrived to my hotel.(Aeromexico)

2) my friend placed a citizen watch that he held dear to him in his checked in bag. It was missing when we arrived to the hotel. He had a watch on his wrist so that's why the citizen went in the bag before people ask.(Aeromexico)

3) My father was asked to take his brand new deep blue 1000 watch off at TSA in Phoenix and when he got through he forgot it for 5 minutes max and went back to retrieve it but it was already stolen. They upgraded him to first class but TSA denied seeing it.(united)

I was told I could keep my watch on during the TSA screening but I flew out from San Francisco.

I've accepted that my watch and my dad's watch is gone, but can my friend do anything regarding claims or etc for his watch?

If there's nothing he/we can do, so be it but I figured I would post to share my experience and save anybody else the hassle if going through this.

Here's a picture of my Omega on top of a beverage menu.
    IMG_0752.JPG

2. michael22 Jun 4, 2017

I suppose it comes down to what insurance they have.

3. Rman Jun 4, 2017

Whatta massacre.

First order of business, never check jewelry or watches or any valuables you care that much about in your check-in bag. Big no no.

I've never seen a security check that required removing your watch. That in itself is suspicious.

noelekal and vidalalex like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 4, 2017

I have never, ever been asked to take a watch off during screening by TSA. If asked, I would put it in my carry-on bag before screening.

Too many stories like these to make me feel comfortable putting it with change and keys.
    gatorcpa

Jwit, cvera and noelekal like this.
  5. vidalalex Jun 4, 2017

I agree with @Rman, never been asked to remove my watch...but have seen things desapear from my notebook bag after have it screened.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2017

Who checks watches?

7. timjohn Jun 4, 2017

I've been asked to take off my watch in a few places: outbound Kabul and Dubai transit to mention two. I always take it off and put it into a zipped carryon before putting it through the scanner. Never put watches in checked bags or loose in the tray....

quito likes this.
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 4, 2017

Sorry to hear about your woes OP

Passengers are usually asked to remove watches when travelling between the UK and Middle East (both ends) and in transit in Europe
    Even dress watches.
    Agree never check valuables
    My watches are in a case in my carry on when I travel.
    Never had a problem yet but this is a great reminder to be more careful in future travels. :thumbsup:

9. jumpingsecond Jun 4, 2017

Can you file a complaint with TSA? They have a number of camera recordings they could use to gather evidence of what happened.

10. Ssunnylee24 Jun 4, 2017

Never check in anything valuable in check in luggage.

11. cvera Jun 4, 2017

I was asked to take off my watch at the TSA in Mexico City but not in San Francisco or Guadalajara.

Also Visa has lost luggage claims that covers stolen items if you purchased your tickets with a visa signature card.

So I submitted a claim, and will update if and when anything happens.

Like I said though, I knew the risks of checked in baggage and valuables, which was why I wore my Omega on my wrist the entire time.

12. cvera Jun 4, 2017

My father did, they asked for receipts of purchase and other information which I have the documents for.

I'll update so others can hear about the process and if anything comes of it.

Im not going to stress about any of it though. The trip was incredible besides the air travel mishaps.

13. cvera Jun 4, 2017

Agreed, and interesting to see about the U.K. And Europe travels. I suppose it depends on where you go and the agent you have to deal with.

If I take watches on a trip again, I'll be sure to do it on the carry on.

14. cvera Jun 4, 2017

People with watches most likely.

And yeah I know not to check super valuable watches, but not everyone does.

I wasn't really surprised when the watch was stolen, but felt awful for my friend. He had never been told that it was a bad idea, and he put one in his checked in baggage since he was already wearing a different one on his wrist.

15. lillatroll Jun 4, 2017

Sorry about your experience My wife had a polar running watch stolen from her checked in luggage. Not the end of the world but still annoying. What was surprising was how often it happens, which seems to be very often. We never put anything of value in our checked luggage and always try to get it cling film wrapped before checking it in.

16. Uniqez Jun 4, 2017

Same here @gatorcpa. I've been traveling a lot for work and fun for last 6-7 years and never had someone asked me to take the watch out, even more, I know all of my belts that can stay on and not freak out metal detector. Also, I have mastered my packing skill, so I can easy load my carry on with 10 days worth of close. Never check the bags for international flights(learned it hard way, how bag can arrive at the last day of my trip).
    P.S. One of my co-worker had his watch stolen from the little tray during the TSA security screening.

17. BillLundberg Jun 4, 2017

It's the same with camera equipment, I never checke itbin, it is always in my carry on.

Also about watches , I only take watches I'm willing too loose, I guess the most expensive watch I've taken was $500 Citizen.

Here lately I have taken 3 watches

Orient Ray

timed expedition

Cheap quartz watch I purchase on the Bay

What I'm not wearing goes in my back pack

Hope everything works out for your friend

18. LawBrk Jun 4, 2017

Just went to New Orleans and had to remove my watch both ways, I stuffed all the items in my pockets in my carry on and zipped it up and into the X-ray belt it goes. I've actually never been through TSA without them asking me to take off my watch.

19. cvera Jun 5, 2017

So many different experiences. Thanks for the input and feedback.

Im traveling internationally again soon and will take precautions. I've traveled several times prior to this and have never had anything stolen going to Mexico, domestic, or London , until now of course.

20. adi4 Jun 5, 2017

Only recently was I ever asked to remove my watch by TSA. However, I usually always put it in my carry on bag anyways along with phone and wallet while in line so as not to attract any attention to them. I've only checked in my G-Shock, but wasn't too worried about losing that one. Everyhthing of monetary and sentimental value always goes straight into my carry on.

Hope you can recover your friend's watch, although the chances are probably slim since it changed so many hands it's probably hard for the airline to point a finger anywhere in particular.