Forums Latest Members

Aero-Compax bezel project - advice requested

1. Carlton-Browne Jun 5, 2019

I've had a spare bezel for my Aero-Compax for a while; I've not always appreciated the shininess of the one it came fitted with and imagined that I might brush this to tone the watch down.

Here's the watch (picture taken on arrival - I never wear it on this bracelet):
    [​IMG]

And here's the spare bezel:
    [​IMG]

I have some Garryflex blocks so it wouldn't take too long to apply a satin finish and I could even do it myself (don't forget that I retain the original bezel so it would be no bother to revert the watch back).

I would just like to downplay things a little...
    [​IMG]

The other idea that's been playing on my mind is of having a different finish and trying to do something like this:
    [​IMG]

So, the questions I'm asking are?

1. Who could do this? First thoughts are Chronext and possibly somebody I'm aware of via TZ-UK (bry1975)
    2. What finishes should I actually be asking for?
    3. Will the 6 at 3 make this nigh impossible?
    4. Is it a good idea ::facepalm1::?

Answers on a postcard please. I can't think of anything that will offend me but let's keep it civil.

Diabolik and ELV web like this.
  2. wristpirate Jun 5, 2019

Go all out and get a modded purple bezel.

Or put the original bezel on it?

3. Carlton-Browne Jun 5, 2019

The original bezel is on it.

4. wristpirate Jun 5, 2019

Ah I got confused with the photos. Yours is the later generation Aero-Compax at the top ::facepalm1::

I stand by my first suggestion of putting a modded purple bezel on it :D

On a serious note, I would personally feel uncomfortable adding a finish to a period correct part. Unless of course it had zero value to me and I just wanted to have some fun.

5. Carlton-Browne Jun 5, 2019

Exactly - I retain the original and I think I paid €50 for the spare which means it doesn't bother me if it all goes pear-shaped.

wristpirate likes this.
  6. bgrisso Jun 5, 2019

I would start satin and wear it a bit. The gloss finish would bother me as well. The day/night looks a bit complicated to pull off, I assume it could be done with enough $$

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 19, 2019

Satin finish has my vote....

Mark020 likes this.