Forums Latest Members
  1. Herbertson Mar 10, 2019

Dear members,

Can anybody advise me on a Omega Speedmaster Professional on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/273729987494Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network). I want to buy this watch for my son. His birthday is in Juli. What is the quality/price relation? I am not an expert. Thank you for your effort.

With kind regards,

Herbert Richardson

2. Psych Mar 10, 2019

I am not an expert, either. But have a look at Speedmaster101.com, which is posted by one of the members of this Forum. You'll see a very handy price guide for the various early Speedmaster models.

The ebay listing looks extremely expensive to me.

Have a look at the Private Watch Sales section of this Forum. If you are patient, you can pick up a good watch at the price collectors sell to other collectors and with the assurance that any listing has passed the expert eagle eyes of the members here. May need patience, but you shouldn't go far wrong.

Good luck.

3. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

Apart from the replacement crown the watch looks all correct to me.

There are 'funny' and 'uncommon' auction terms as well, especially this part:

"Dear followers of my Omega Speedmaster Professional auction on Ebay,

Do not you also think that bidding on Ebay is boring? Always waiting until the last moment and still not be the winner?

So let's do it differently:
    I'm going to lower the "Buy it Now" price by 1000 € every day around 8:00 pm (CET):
    - on March 22 I will lower the price to 19000 €,
    - on March 23 to 18000 €
    - on March 24 to 17000 €,
    - and so on,
    - until the price stands at 12000 €. I will not go lower.
    If you now fear that another bidder is just one fraction of a second earlier than you with his/her "Buy it Now", then you make me an offer before 7:00 PM (CET) that is 500 € higher than the price that will start from 8:00 PM (CET) on that day .

Exciting and fun, is not it?

All this under the condition that Ebay let me do this and that I will not become seriously ill in those days or ...... dissolve in the infinite.

Good luck !!!

Let us laugh: this method of declining per time sequence the "Buy it Now" price on bidding sites, like Ebay, and keeping up the possibility to make an offer in between, is from now on copyright protected by me (seriously). Of course Ebay can buy the idea/copyright. They have my email address."

I never read something like this before... Interesting seller. ::confused2::

Since the watch comes without the steel bracelet, I believe I wouldn't pay more than 8 - 9k Euro.

And I'm not sure I'd buy from this seller... :)

Edited Mar 10, 2019
  4. Davidt Mar 10, 2019

Nice watch but the price is absolutey obscene.

It's at least 2x overpriced.

5. bikehomero Mar 10, 2019

6. Davidt Mar 10, 2019

Sounds like he's just trying to spin a big story and hype it up to justify the fact that he's asking 2x market price

KingCrouchy likes this.
  7. KingCrouchy Mar 10, 2019

8. FlyingSnoopy Mar 10, 2019

I agree, I would not buy from him...
    Cheers

9. Amaza Mar 10, 2019

I don't know, I must admit that when I first contacted him at the time of the first auction, he wouldn't look really aware of the value of his watch and the inheritance story seemed quite legit. But who knows. The watch at least seems to fit the story. It looks untouched where even the leather band seems the original one.
    I agree that whatever where his first intentions, it ended up swallen by the speedmaster frenzy. :,D

10. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

He even says it's been relisted for the third time by now:

"Relisted:
    I did put my fathers Omega Speedmaster Professional twice on Ebay. The first time failed because of paying problems (Paypal related). The second time I cancelled the sales because I could not contact the buyer for days."

Maybe one of the previous buyers is a member here? I guess it would be interesting to hear the other side of the story... ;)

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 10, 2019

I wound** want to try to do buisiness with this seller.

He sounds a nutcase

Edit: Wouldn't is what I meant!!! No one to blame for the spleeing exceotp me!

Edited Mar 11, 2019
    lando, kov, Lucasssssss and 2 others like this.
  12. Norfolk Mar 10, 2019

Dissolve in the infinite?

Interesting side effects of his meds....

13. bazderome Mar 10, 2019

Buy the seller... This guy sounds stupid at best. The description in his previous ad is even worst

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/273668272145Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

"The reason is that I want that my watch goes to a collector who loves beautiful watches, so my goal is not to get the maximum amount for my daddy's watch. So please use the possibility to make a note with your offer and tell me why you want this watch so badly and which emotions play a role in that." ::book::

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2019

Did he just claim to patent a reverse auction????

I can’t find a meme strong enough for that much stupidity.

How much do you want to bet the OP is posting from

Laperche, Aquitaine?

Georgieboy58, ndgal, bloomy and 2 others like this.
  15. Ray7 Mar 10, 2019

I saw this listing at first one too. The watch is in even patina all part. Beside the rust spot near the sweep seconhand register?
    OP how old are you? your son born in 60"s?

16. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

I think it's a spot on the crystal. The macro shot of the dial doesn't show this and zooming in the other pictures it doesn't look like rust.

17. Dan S Mar 10, 2019

Even his lowest price is too high, and he sounds like a nut-job.

18. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2019

Yeah, but if that's the case, the shot will probably backfire... :)

19. Herbertson Mar 10, 2019

Thanks you all. If you all are experts, I will not go for it.

20. aprax Mar 10, 2019

All the BS of the seller's offering/description aside, shouldn't the watch be considered at least "good" according to the Speedmaster101.com price chart? You could take off 500 for the crown and the necessary service, but otherwise it does look quite OK in my opinion.
    Whether you would want to deal with this specific seller is another question entirely, of course.
    BTW, is the difference of 500 USD between CF and HF for "good" in the chart a typo?

Rehmann likes this.