Forums Latest Members
  1. jfman1 Aug 3, 2017

I have an Omega Seamaster Cal 1020 from approximately the 60's (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's in average cosmetic condition considering the age, but needs to be serviced. I found a local watch repair shop in Portland (Alex and Co. Jewelers and watch works) that would do the complete service for around $3-400.

I have two questions. The watch has no sentimental value, would it be worth selling as is or servicing then selling. Either way, what would be the baseline price I should expect.

Also, I found the service through a quick online search and good reviews, does anyone have any other suggestions for shops in Portland, or if its worth to service at Omega in Seattle prior to selling?

Thank you in advanced.

FullSizeRender.jpg caseback.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 3, 2017

$3-$400 is high, IMHO. Omega will be higher. If you do a site search there may be Portland watchmaker suggestions. If not, I'm sure someone will chime in. Get it serviced and wear it.

3. chipsotoole Aug 3, 2017

60's..you sure? I thought early 70's. Revisions aren't cheap and the more complications a watch has the more they will cost. I just paid 280 Euros to revise a speedmaster..I can't imagine doing this should cost anymore...shop around you'll get it down to under 300.
    what is in the watches favour is that it is stainless steel as opposed to the gold plated version...The GP ones around nowadays despite looking great back in the day, tend to look pretty tired and once the casing and base metal of the bracelet starts showing through and the market price drops like a stone..I bought one on eBay last year for 95 pounds and flipped it for about 150 Euros.....1020's were not uncommon and were amongst the last of the in-house omega movements before they farmed them out. You could of course 1) service and keep it. 2) sell it as is and buy yourself something nice with the money , or 3) try selling the bracelet and case separately, though I'm not sure if you'd end up with much more...but the bracelet is nice.
    If I were you I'd sell it as is, put some reasonable reserve price on it, based on your own research, and put the money towards a watch I really want...

4. Edward53 Aug 3, 2017

It's mid 70s. Sell as is, let someone else do the service. The quote you got is quite high and the new owner might have their own preferred watchmaker.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 3, 2017

I realized I misread your post. If you want to sell, sell as is. Whatever you do, don't make a veiled attempt to sell it here, to skirt the sales rules.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 3, 2017

Agree with the above assessments, service cost (even a more reasonable quote) will be above market value.

7. heyhaigh Aug 3, 2017

I just purchased the exact same watch from a seller on Reddit about a month back. It’s a ref 166.0206 / 366.0842, powered by an automatic cal 1012 from 1974, measuring 35mm diameter without crown, and 40mm from lug to lug.

Mine is in slightly better cosmetic condition, but I had it serviced as well, for $150. Those estimates seem super high. Good luck!