Forums Latest Members

Advise on spring bar needed

1. Moppel Feb 26, 2017

Hello.

I tried to swap from bracelet to a rubber strap on one of my watches and lost a spring bar.
    So I went to a local watch maker and asked for some spare parts. I told him that the lug-size is 20mm.
    Back home I didn't manage it to get the spring bar fitted. So I measured it and to my surprise the length was 21mm when compressed. So it was no wonder that it wouldn't go in.

I now have some questions:
    1. how do I determine the right length ( e.g.when ordering online )?
    2. the diameter of the original one is 2mm. Most of the spring bars I see online have 1,8mm. Would that have an impact on something?

P.S. The remaining one has a total length of 23mm ( 19,8mm when compressed ) and has a double flange.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards from Germany.
    Thomas

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 26, 2017

I believe your spec is the lug width. I've bought off Amazon and you order for the width you seek to fit.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2017

What watch?
    If you want the same springbar order from the Boutique / Brand your watch is. ( most will post a few out for little $, have had them sent for free once or twice over the years )

I like to use brand springbars on dive watches, ( as they are usually thicker springbars) I use generic on all my other watches.
    I also keep springbars in straps so every strap change is a new springbar. Just my way of not having old springbars on watches.

4. Moppel Feb 27, 2017

Thanks, folks, for your input.
    The watch is a Rolex GMT. I already called the retailer where I bought the watch. Strangely enough, they also sent me the wrong one. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to call them again to clarify. But I will do so in the next couple of days.

Cheers
    Thomas