Advise on 1930 Omega

I've been on the look for a 1930 watch, father's birth year, and came across one on Chrono I'd like any opinions or advise you would be willing to give me. I am new to watch collecting and have no experience at all with vintage watches. I've been reading through many of your threads since I've found this site and have already learned a ton of great information. I'm not collecting for value but just a few pieces that interest me the most. So the 1930 I'm looking for doesn't have to be untouched or perfectly original as long as it's mostly correct and maintains its original charm and could be a good wearer. Since I don't have photos of my own, I'm assuming the best thing to do is paste the link for review and see what everyone thinks of it. I look forward to your thoughts and any advise in this new found hobby. Ken

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omeg...0176678.htm?searchHash=d187d44c_QF8kkB&pos=67

Please post photos and not links, you'll get more input.

Asking price is ridiculous especially for something with a refinished dial.

Like 2
Among other things its too expensive, has a refinished dial and is very small even by vintage standards

Like 1
Just for posterity sake.

Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 9.39.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 9.39.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 9.39.47 PM.png

Like 1
Thank you for transferring photos over. I will do that in any future posts to make it easier. My thoughts were it was a refinished dial, which I think he mentioned in ad, and that asking price was high since it's not all original. Obviously everyone thought the same from above reactions. I did think the size was small but thought that it was semi difficult to find ones larger from 1930. But after looking more, I have seen a few different models around 35mm. I'm not sure if they made any much larger back then or not. It doesn't have to be Omega, but there doesn't seem to be many from 1930 that i've been drawn to yet except Omega and I did see a couple of Hamilton's that I liked the style of. How accurate is this website for giving the accurate year.
https://serial-number-decoder.com/omega/omega.htm
I've been using it to try to determine if a watch is actually 1930 or not.
For example, the one shown below says it is a 1930 in the ad but the decoder says 1925.
Crap, i couldn't get the pics to download right. X350 XJR you will have to tell me how you got the pics from Chrono. When i try to "save as" it tries to save them as a webpage link instead of as a jpg file. I'll keep playing with it and try to figure it out but I'll post a link one more time so you can see the watch and serial number I used in that decoder website.

P.S. Price wise I would love to find a decent one around $800 or less. I figure if i'm patient and just keep looking I should come across one eventually that's not overpriced. All the input is already helping me know more of what to look for as I keep searching. Thanks again. Your knowledge is priceless to a newbie.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/1930--id32372288.htm?searchHash=88625343_GocTDX&pos=23

When i try to "save as" it tries to save them as a webpage link instead of as a jpg file.

Just take screen shots, they upload here fine.

That OP watch is probably about 1936-37. If you want 1930, the movement serial needs to be in the low 7M range. To be honest, we don't see a ton of wristwatches from 1930 on the forum. That's why I asked about the possibility of a pocket watch.

Dan S,
Sorry i missed that. I do admire pocket watches, but definitely want a wristwatch for this one, which makes it a harder search. So low 7M range means this one could be 1930.

upload_2024-3-2_15-43-15.png

Like 1
7M started in 1929 and 8M started in 1935, is that correct

7M started in 1929 and 8M started in 1935, is that correct
Approximately, yes. The 7.2M movement you showed is probably quite close to 1930. I think you would expect to see the italicized OMEGA on the dial.

Incidentally, my father was also born in 1930, although he's been gone nearly 20 years now.

Incidentally, my father was also born in 1930, although he's been gone nearly 20 years now.

Yes mine has also been gone for around 30 years now. I don't ever remember seeing him without a wristwatch on, which is why I have started this birth year search for one. Thanks for helping with the date estimation explanation.

Good luck with the search. Take your time and remember the date ranges from the movement serial numbers are approximate, particularly for the older ones. Post your candidates as you did for input members will gladly help. Maybe you can narrow down the search to watches you like from that era, and look at many examples to train your eye for a good one. Monitor the private Sales thread here as you will tend to find better examples at reasonable prices, compared with Chrono and ebay. You will find something nice if you dont rush and you can enjoy the process it will make your choice even better. If you widen the options to include watches from his adult era, you could find comething from 1940s- 1950s that he might have worn, and this would widen the possibilities.

Approximately, yes. The 7.2M movement you showed is probably quite close to 1930. I think you would expect to see the italicized OMEGA on the dial.

I have wondered if this dial was original or not, what do you think?

I have pegged this around 1930-1

Like 1