Forums Latest Members
  1. sokard Jun 8, 2020

Dear Ωmega friends,

I have been into watchmaking and watch collecting for the last four years. The first thing I did when I started was to find all my family's watches and try to fix them. One of those is my grandfather's Omega Seamaster which I inherited from him. I have checked and found some info on this watch but I would appreciate it if you have more on this.
    The case reference is 2990-1 and it runs off course on cal. 267 like the famous Ranchero.
    My main concern lies on the dial. I have noticed that all the other Seacheros out there have the Seamaster written under the OMEGA inscription.
    I was planning to request an extract from Omega but in the case it is a redial they keep the money so I don't want to risk it.
    Thank you i advance.

P.S. I have not yet overhauled the watch because I am still thinking how to handle the radium lume.

Untitled.png Untitled 2.png Untitled 3.png
    Edited Jun 8, 2020
  2. sokard Jun 12, 2020

Any opinions?????

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 12, 2020

Well that dial text isn't from the 1950s if that helps so not original to the watch. On that basis I doubt the lume is radium

Benbradstock likes this.
  4. sokard Jun 12, 2020

Thank you for your reply!
    Actually the watch was serviced back in 2004 when I inherited it. I was not aware at that time of the value of vintage watches and the lume in the hands was in very bad condition so I requested to the watchmaker to relume the hands. As for the lume on the markers this is 100% radium because I checked it in the Geiger counter.
    When was that logo applied by Omega?
    Because I think that the radium was replaced by tritium in around mid 60s.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 12, 2020

It’s not really the logo that is the issue, it’s the font in the word Omega. That sans serif style is more a 1970s onwards thing so it suggests either a replacement or repainted dial. Look closely at other examples, the text has small serifs and is subtly different

Benbradstock and Dan S like this.
  6. sokard Jun 12, 2020

Thank you for your help!
    I will disassemble the watch and I will post some photos of the dial so we can see the truth!

7. Shabbaz Jun 12, 2020

Strange dial. Omega font looks like a later service dial. But it also could be refinished. Anyway, I never saw it before.

8. sokard Mar 20, 2021

I managed to dissasembe the watch today in order to overhaul it and took some closer photos of the dial and its back.
    The maker appears to be "HUGUENIN" and from a closer looks this is not a redial, in my opinion.

I would appreciate it if someone else with more experience on the subject could help me. IMG_2625-2.JPG IMG_2627-2.JPG

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 20, 2021

Could be a factory replacement (service) dial. Logo is still not right for a late 1950's watch.

These things happened.
    gatorcpa

apsm100, Dan S and Flip like this.
  10. sokard Mar 20, 2021

In this case, would I be able to receive an 'extract from the archives' or it will be considered as a 'fake'?

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 20, 2021

Omega will give you the extract based on the case and movement. They will not opine on the dial.
    gatorcpa

12. Dan S Mar 20, 2021

Later OMEGA font on a radium dial. ::confused2:: It really seems like that text must have been reprinted. Strange. Anyway, I don't think it will stop you from getting an Extract.

13. sokard Mar 21, 2021

Thank you for your replies.
    I will request an extract and let you know how it goes.