Forums Latest Members
  1. kevinbob Jul 5, 2016

Hello guys, after going through this forum I finally convinced myself to find a 145.022 ! Mainly because it’s the perfect match between the vintages I like and my budget :)

Can you guys tell me what you think of this one when you have a moment pls?
    Speed 1 front.jpg

Speed 2 left.png Speed 3 right.png Speed 4 Mov.png Speed 5 Case Back.png Speed 6 back.png

Looking at the basel between the 100 and the 110 you can see there is some kind of space between it and the plexi, is it something to worry about ? Is the cracked plexi something I’ll have to change (because of humidty for example) ? cost etc ..

The case back doesn’t have these little polished circles I see in other 022 in the inside (maybe it has been polished). And in the outside you can hardly see anything …

Regarding the Dial, when I look closely at the indexes bars they look “inprecise” like it spilled …. Is it original or relumed maybe ?

To me the case doesn’t look to have been too much polished, what do you think?

Are these legit concerns ? Or just overthinking ::book::::confused2:: This one is quite expensive compared to other 022 I saw so I don’t want to do a mistake .

Thanks Bob.

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 5, 2016

How much? Looks like a dealer based on pics, and with that bracelet I am guessing $6-7k asking price.

3. kevinbob Jul 5, 2016

Yes it's a dealer. $6500 do you think it's a fair price ? Or should I ask a bit lower ..

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 5, 2016

Always ask for a lower price!

What is your motivation for the Speedy? If you are buying one to wear and enjoy, I would suggest a later 145.022 from the 1970s.

Starting with a collector grade 69 means that you may or may not enjoy wearing it...remember, they are tool watches.

Not fun to own watches that you are scared to scratch or ding.

It is a pretty one though.

5. kevinbob Jul 5, 2016

Main motivation is to wear it. I've scaled my budget to wear it without being scared.

Ok thanks for the advice !

Linzer likes this.
  6. rcs914 Jul 5, 2016

I think that's the cleanest and least dinged DO90 bezel I've ever seen. The "fuzziness" of the lume could be due to decay rather than a relume, but I'll leave that determination to the experts.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 5, 2016

The crystal is damaged I think and consequently has me looking carefully at the rest of the watch.

Bezel dial and hands are correct, and unusually for a watch on offer, these are all pretty good. Don't worry about the bezel damage - it's a good bezel. Dial is attractive and the hands are original looking with nice colored lume. I like it.

However the case is corroded. For a wearing watch this could prove a challenge as you probably won't pass a waterproof test.

If you buy it this watch NEEDS A SERVICE.

it's a strong price but in line with dealer prices which tend to be about 1000-1500 over what a motivated hunter/collector gets one for.

Dealers tend to sell watches that are pretty on the outside but in fact need as much work as the poor looking private watch.

TNTwatch likes this.
  8. blubarb Jul 5, 2016

Nice looking DoN bezel to me even if a little damage around the 110 mark. The crystal is easily replaced. The case corrosion is the point over which to negotiate the price I suspect.

kevinbob likes this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 5, 2016

My point, perhaps not clear, is that a case this badly corroded has some history of exposure to elements that will have caused degredations elsewhere - that may or may not have been attended to.

kevinbob likes this.
  10. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 5, 2016

This resumes a lot of things in one clever sentence !

11. avirdj Jul 5, 2016

I like that watch and I think the dial is a little bit turning to brown.

12. Andy Jul 5, 2016

I agree with Watchknut, I'd be afraid to wear it. I have owned my 145022-68ST since new, it was given to me for my birthday when I was taking flying lessons and got my pilot's license. I wore it for about 2 years and then tucked it away in my drawer until 2012. Everyone here on the forum told me not to wind it and get it serviced, which I did and I've worn it once or twice since then. Now since they have gone crazy in pricing I just don't want to wear it for fear if dinging it up or scratching it. I had an offer of 7500.00 from one guy but I don't know how serious he was on it, but he really really liked it. Half of me says keep it and the other side of me says sell it. I'm not a collector of these and had I not joined this forum I would have pulled it out of the drawer wound it up and started wearing it again, but not now. That watch looks your looking at looks pretty good, but I'd listen to the experts here on the forum.

13. Javi22 Jul 5, 2016

Nice watch ...:thumbsup:

14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 5, 2016

Well, guess it is not "collector's grade" with that corrosion...@spacefruit eagle eyes!

Keep looking, and at that money, I would look for a 145.022 from 68 with the applied logo and long indices.

Edited Jul 5, 2016
    MikiJ likes this.
  15. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 5, 2016

Or maybe the '69 Michael M offered for now $6,300. if it's still available? IMHO, much better all the way around.

16. wsfarrell Jul 5, 2016

Allow me to express a dissenting opinion. That watch has some of the best components I've seen recently: nice band and end pieces, fantastic bezel, great dial and hands, and an utterly pristine movement. The case has seen some corrosion, but it clearly had zero effect on dial or movement. I would try and bargain that down under $6k, replace the crystal and wear it with pleasure.

marturx and Dgercp like this.
  17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 5, 2016

A fair point of view. And I think I would agree with some caveats.

My question is what caused the corrosion? And how is the movement so pristine when clearly the watch has been in a harsh environment? Are they original?

The crystal condition is an important indicator. It demostrates the watch is a long time since attention and possible environmental ingress. So simply replacing the crystal would not be my choice. I would also want to know how waterproof it is. From experience living with a watch case in this condition it means frequent fogging in humid environments.

The market is starved of nice examples, and this is a fair watch - except for the case.

18. spin_transistor Jul 5, 2016

I have a 29.6mil serial like the one shown here and the dial photos looked similar too! That puppy will light up as dark chocolate in the sun!

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 5, 2016

I suspect you have a 2960xxxx if it shows that lovely chocolate.
    The op watch is 2963xxxx and so I would not expect the same chocolate.

20. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jul 5, 2016

Dont be scared to wear your watch. I wear my premoon alot. Its still in great condition. Just take care of it. Dont play sports in it. Jaja.