Forums Latest Members

Advise about tools or tool box

1. esperando Jul 23, 2019

i have searched first and was very surprised not to found threads on the topic, probably i did a bad search

but here comes the question
    i would like to buy (preferably in europe) an assorted tool box to open the back of the case, remove the bracelet, and assemble some links to it, individual tools could make sense too

could you advice on the tools that are interesting to do this in a safe and sound way ?

thank you
    regards

DaveK likes this.
  2. redzer007 Jul 23, 2019

I think you will find best to buy the tools individually. Personally I use bergeon tool. Search the site for bergeon and you will find specific tool recommendations. Try cousinsuk.com for supply, they do kits but probably more than you need

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. esperando Jul 24, 2019

thank you very useful

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 24, 2019

Most kits are rubbish, but even if you buy a high quality expensive one, you may not be able to use all of the items.

However, you can use the contents of a good kit as a guide to what you need for general work.

[​IMG]

The best thing to do is buy individual items as you need them and stick to well known brands like AF, Bullongè, Bergeon, Horotec or VOH.

Start by working with straps and bracelets, you'll need a spring bar tool, some bracelet punches and a block and some screwdrivers.

Opening cases should only be attempted with the correct tools and in a suitable environment b a person who knows what they are doing.
    Case openers come in many styles so you need to know what sort of caseback you are going to open.

One of the worst types is this one:

[​IMG]

Unless you apply exactly equal pressure to both handles there is an enormous risk of losing grip and gouging the case.

One of the best "simple" openers is this one:

[​IMG]

Because the handle is at 90º to the line of the jaws, small up and down movement has little effect of dislodging the tips, as opposed to the style below where the handle is in line with the tips and a slight up/down movement of the handle could allow the tips to disengage and gouge the caseback.

[​IMG]

There are many other styles of caseback opener so with some experience behind you, choosing better ones more suited to your requirements will become easier.

You may want to get an eye loupe and some tweezers, so start saving your money.

Remember, always buy quality tools.
    They are nicer to use, reduce the risk of damage to your watches and generally last much longer than the cheap rubbish.

Vitezi likes this.
  5. esperando Jul 24, 2019

thank you very much
    i absolutely agree on the use of quality tools
    if you try to save your money in cheaper tools you will damage the most important part of the ecuation, the watch
    thank you for your tips

i am considering:

upload_2019-7-24_12-30-57.png

and this one: i see it is a cheap tool, but i will not be opening it frequently, i would like to buy the one that you posted but i do not know the brand name to search for it

upload_2019-7-24_12-31-47.png

6. yande Jul 24, 2019

It surprises me how often this simple"ball" will do the job and remove a caseback. You will be surprised the pressure that can be exerted. . Absolutely no risk of damaging a case back either. Having said that, it always worries me when when viewing high end watches being sold privately and the case back has been removed. Best to know what you are doing if you are thinking of taking the back off one of your favourite watches. As for spring bar tools, get Bergeon. Buy right, buy once.

Friction ball. Bergeon even has a model..
    Friction ball.jpg

KingCrouchy and Archer like this.
  7. omegaswisst Jul 24, 2019

+1 for the friction ball.

Using a case holder with it makes the job of opening the case back easier.

bergeon-large-watch-case-holder-and-case-vise-tool.jpg

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2019

Almost all those tools kits are junk. Buying individual tools that you need as you need them, is the best approach. What you need will be determined by what you work on, and the work you plan to do.

I typically buy the best tool available for the job, because cheap tools are the most expensive tools...

amiriqbal, KingCrouchy and STANDY like this.