Forums Latest Members
  1. Omigod Dec 5, 2014

Hello folks,

Could anyone please shed some light on this old Omega watch, found at the back of granddad's drawer?

At first sight, I thought it might be clapped-out, but the moment I picked it up the movement started ticking! Not only that, but it's keeping PERFECT time. It's really rather moving that a watch so old is still full of life. Since then, we've grown rather attached! I've bought a smart, new strap and wear it constantly.

The hands are blued steel, although it doesn't really show up in the pictures. The case has been through the wars, as you can see. But granddad had it regularly serviced, judging by the number of marks etched into the back of the case.

Am I right in thinking it's a Cal. 26.5, made around 1950? I'd very much appreciate the judgements of an expert eye! Also, I know it's not an incredibly valuable watch by Omega standards, but is there anything I can do to ensure it's still running in another 50 years, aside from a regular service every now and again.

Thanks in anticipation.

WP_20141205_001x.JPG WP_20141205_022x.JPG WP_20141205_007x.JPG WP_20141205_008x.JPG WP_20141205_014x.JPG

2. cristos71 Dec 5, 2014

Not sure of the calibre, you can probably find it marked under the balance.

I would say it is more 1947ish than 1950 based on the serial number. The dial and hands look in decent vintage shape.

Unfortunately it looks as if the case was swapped at some point for a non-Omega one. Also the fixed bars look to have added at a later date.

No big deal for an inheritance piece but from a collectors viewpoint it would be seen as a problem.

As for keeping it in good, healthy condition then a service is always the way forward.

Omigod likes this.
  3. Omigod Dec 5, 2014

Thanks Cristos,
    That's extremely helpful.
    Would it be possible to find an appropriate Omega case?