Forums Latest Members
  1. Sens89 Nov 16, 2014

Hey guys, I'm new here and am looking to buy my first Omega. I've found one that has really caught my attention and hope to get your feedback regarding the authenticity etc. If I can get it for a reasonable price, my hope is to send it off for a proper restoration and service (keeping the patina!). Pics are attached. Thanks for your help!
    omega 1.jpg

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 16, 2014

Watch appears to be an authentic 2627. The dial appears to be a later service replacement dial. The case is heavily polished and the movement looks like it had a moisture problem at some point. Not a candidate for restoration.

3. TNTwatch Nov 16, 2014

The dial doesn't have any patina at all since it has been repainted with newer font type and misaligned minute markers. It looks too clean, lume dots look very new compared to the hour markers and hands. Like Joe said, there's nothing here to "restore". If it's been serviced and runs well and at the right price, it could be a good daily beater, but with no collectible value.

4. John R Smith Nov 17, 2014

I agree with all the comments above. For some reason the dials on these 2627s have not worn well, and most of the surviving original dials are in a bad way. Hence, there are a lot of redials around, like this one. A quick check for this is that on the original dial there are NO lume dots at 12, 3, 6 and 9. Just also to note that this is a late 2627 with the cal 355 movement and the trapezoid date window.

5. Sens89 Nov 17, 2014

Thanks for the input everyone. What do you use to evaluate whether the dials, cases and movements etc. are all from the original watch? I had checked the serial number on the movement which dated it properly, checked the Omega database to see that the 355 movement was correct etc. I'm having the hardest time identifying what dials are true to the watch, simply because there seem to be so many variations and a google search leads to more frankenwatches than originals. Does the de ville below look any better? The one thing that jumps out to me is the minute markers are off a bit. omega 2.jpg

6. aga79 Nov 17, 2014

yes...
    The Seamaster Deville has the original dial
    But you have to replace The second hand with The original one
    CMIIW

7. TNTwatch Nov 17, 2014

The Deville dial was repainted also, just like you noticed with some minute markers show up behind some hour markers, some don't. Moreover, the dial looks too new and clean, especially when compared to the movement that's oxidated all over. Consistency is one of the big keywords here.

8. Sens89 Nov 18, 2014

Hmm to be honest I kind of like the fact that it's a redial if I can get it for a decent price. I wouldn't mind having it restored to like-new condition without worrying about reducing it's value, as I do plan on wearing the watch and keeping it for a long time. Does everything else seem to check out on the De Ville?

9. John R Smith Nov 18, 2014

The movement on this one has been damaged by water ingress. Beware! There are lots of these De Villes around and I am sure that you can find a much better one than this for a reasonable price.