Forums Latest Members

advice request on Seamaster DeVille black dial crosshair datum

1. amirani Aug 15, 2015

My father had a Seamaster Deville black dial crosshair & datum , but unfortunately it has been stolen years ago.
    I'm just looking here and there to find a new one but I've seen a couple of them on Ebay in Usa only:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/271953105300?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    and from the same seller:
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/271956059242?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I would like to buy in Europe because of the heavy custom/import taxes on goods coming from US.
    I found this one in France without datum though...:
    http://www.chrono24.it/omega/seamas...le--mod276.htm&models=276&manufacturerIds=187

advices and considerations on price are really welcome.
    thanks a lot for your precious work and passion!

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 15, 2015

Both watches in the US have repainted dials not original.
    Not so sure about the one on Chrono but the price is too high.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 15, 2015

Mad men effect price

4. amirani Aug 15, 2015

thanks for your replies, they're helpful and hugely appreciated.
    I think the US ones are pretty well re-done, but I'm more oriented to the Eu one for the reasons I said. What do you think it could be an appropriate price fro the Chrono one?
    700€ maybe?
    I was thinking to make an offer to the French guy...

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 15, 2015

Sorry to hear about your father's watch being stolen.
    I am not sure either way on the chrono 24 watch whether the dial is original or repainted, it may be original otherwise one of the previous replies would probably have said so. You could always ask the seller. And I think most C24 sellers expect negotiation, so go ahead and try.

6. amirani Aug 15, 2015

7. amirani Aug 15, 2015

Thanks a lot for your answer Shaun hk!
    Along with the Seamaster, a Zenith Primero Chronometer and another Landeron Chronograph were stolen.
    Sad story...
    Anyway: yes! I'll ask the French guy if there's any possibility to negotiate the price and let's see what happens..
    Actually I don't see much crosshair black dial around...
    Thanks again!

8. TNTwatch Aug 15, 2015

I haven't seen a non-repainted black crosshair dial for this watch style. It's either black non-crosshair or crosshair non-black. There are a few with black crosshair dial out there but all repainted/refinished.

The one on Chrono24 looks original, but it has an oily sheen that may not be able to be cleaned (or difficult to clean without damaging the dial) and may be annoying to look at, so watch out for it also.

wenwatch likes this.
  9. amirani Aug 15, 2015

great advice indeed! I was thinking it was a photo problem, but actually the sheen is visible in more than one pic.
    I'm writing to Montres Mania tomorrow asking about this problem.
    as I already said I think the two Us auctions are featuring quite e good re-painted dials, what do you think?
    Thanks a lot TNTwatch for your precious help!

10. TNTwatch Aug 15, 2015

You're very welcome! Hope you can someday restore what were lost.

The repainted ones on eBay look nice, but are about 3-4 times the value that collectors would consider (which would be for parts only). Even for a non-collector's wearing, they're still too high since originals often come up for much less.

wenwatch likes this.
  11. Mothra Aug 15, 2015

I have the same oily sheen on an original black dial constellation and an original blue dial Tudor date-day. No idea what's caused it, I just consider it to be a form of vintage patina. It doesn't affect my enjoyment on the wrist....
    (couple of the photos below courtesy of @Archer - if I'm honest I hadn't noticed the oily effect until I got the watch reports back from him)
    9 Constellation Stainless Black Dial Pie Pan.jpg

Connieoil.jpg

15 Tudor Date-Day.jpg

tudoroily.png

Edited Aug 15, 2015
  12. amirani Aug 15, 2015

13. amirani Aug 15, 2015

Yes I get what you mean! I've been told the high price comes because of the "Mad Men effect".
    I didn't know about that, I didn't see that tv serie!
    I simply like the crosshair on the black dial in terms of design: there's some "balanced proportion" I feel soberly elegant.
    I got a Baume&Mercier Chronograph some years ago, then I saw an identical model but with with black dial and I started to think about my dad's Omega....
    My son is wearing a Patek from the 60s coming from my father little collection.
    Actually it wasn't a collection at all, I would say he simply liked the design of certain things.
    Me, I'm a little bit the same... I like a not really collectable Certina Bristol from the late 60s and often I wear it...
    thanks again TNTwatch for your help.
    I like this forum!

14. amirani Aug 15, 2015

Man, this is a really nice one, I'd say! I don't see that much sheen, it looks great on my screen!
    I'll understand something more when I'll receive an answer from MontresMania
    Congrats for your Coonie! love it!

15. Mothra Aug 15, 2015

I've added a few more pics that make it a bit more obvious...:)

16. amirani Aug 15, 2015

m
    Yeah! Now I see what you mean, though it doesn't seem to affect that much...
    probably it's less evident on the Tudor blue dial...
    nice piece this one too, thanks for posting, Mothra!