Forums Latest Members

Advice - Refinish or Not - Rodania Geometer

1. DavidM2 Dec 16, 2020

Hi All - my first post and new to the Omega Forum so I hope I'm putting this in the right place!

I recently acquired a RODANIA GEOMETER H5641 wristwatch at auction. A rarer and fabulous watch with a pre-Omega Speedmaster legend that has been going through the roof at auctions the last three years. This one has a less common white (originally) dial.
    The issue with the watch is an unattractive dial with losses on the outer edges, pitted lacquer, and a bad "patina" that looks like someone tried to clean or "fix it" previously.

I'd like to ask for opinions, either side, of getting the dial refinished before trying to resell. And when I say "refinish" I mean paying for an absolutely top-notch refinish at V Soni dials in London. Another option would be to have them refinish another V72 dial and keep the original as well to give a collector a choice.

Appreciate any thoughts or guidance on how collectors would think about this currently for a Rodonia.

Thanks! DM

Rodania - 003.JPG
    Edited May 17, 2021
    noelekal likes this.
  2. DavidM2 Dec 16, 2020

I would add - the dial looks a little bit better in real life than this image this size. But, here you can see the detailed damage.

3. Dan S Dec 16, 2020

I see this is your first post, so welcome to OF. You sound quite knowledgable, so I imagine you can follow your own judgment with respect to maximizing profits. You won't be able to list the watch here until you have at least 200 posts.

Shabbaz, Syrte and DavidM2 like this.
  4. wsfarrell Dec 16, 2020

If you're planning to resell, don't touch it--you'll kill the value.

noelekal likes this.
  5. DavidM2 Dec 16, 2020

I guess what is tricky is will the value discount be greater than lack of interest price because of the condition of the dial. Seems like if I keep the original with it and purchase another dial to refinish then that's the best of both worlds??

6. wsfarrell Dec 16, 2020

I think if you spend some time on watch forums, you'll find that originality trumps everything on vintage watches. There's so much mischief going on with franken-watches (people replacing parts in order to deceive), collectors will breathe a sigh of relief when they see a watch that is 100% original. I don't find that dial attractive, but there are many many folks out there who would.

DavidM2 and noelekal like this.
  7. DavidM2 May 17, 2021

Updated on the Rodania Geometer. After feedback from the Forum and others, I did resist doing anything to the dial and left the dial and case as-is. I did have the watch inspected by my chronograph repair shop and regulated for accuracy. It also needed a new crystal, which had to be custom fit as not a lot of NOS Rodania parts. The clean versus aged crystal also made the dial a little brighter and better IMHO. Also, looking much sharper now with a new 316 SS Milanese Milstat strap.

Some pictures of the watch now - I think it's definitely wrist worthy!! :)
    EDSC_9279.jpg EDSC_9280.jpg EDSC_9254.jpg EDSC_9246.jpg EDSC_9281.jpg EDSC_9284.jpg EDSC_9285.jpg EDSC_9289.jpg

Edited by a mod May 17, 2021
    Lurk41, Eve, Pierre1333 and 1 other person like this.