Forums Latest Members
  1. davem Jun 13, 2012

Hi Guys
    new to forum ,but often 'lurk' and amazed at the depth of knowledge here
    so hoping for some guidance /advice if poss

looking to add to my collection with a couple of omegas -i only have a constellation at he moment in omega
    anyway -looking at ebay and picked up a nice looking case from watchco to build i guess a franken

i realise these are frowned upon ,but as its for my own use and not for deception, i am relaxed about it personally

the case is a 166.094
    watchco say its for a calibre 560/562/565
    however ,the omega database suggests this should be a 1002 calibre
    watchco also suggest its a dynamic, but omega databse states this is a deville
    not really worried -i just quite like the case and want to make as an original piece as i can

so , what will fit in the case guys ? are watchco totally wrong on this

aiming to pick up a doner watch for the movement or indeed a seperate movement and dial
    i quite like the idea of a 'new' vintage watch...

any pointers would be appreciated
    thanks in advance
    dave

2. ulackfocus Jun 13, 2012

Hi Dave. Good to see you're out of the shadows now. The 55x/56x series were all the same diameter, only the date making a slight difference in height so virtually any similarly featured movement can be swapped for another (ie: 562 in place of 561 since both have date features). The 10xx series is notably thinner so that might cause an issue. Your best bet is to find a beater 166.094 and use the movement from that. Many Genèves and De Villes used the same case reference, even some Seamasters were included in the mix.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

As ULF posted above, the two movements are not compatible and it is highly unlikely that a single case reference would be used for both. I have found that sometimes Watchco's descriptions on thier parts can be a bit "off". I would rely more on the Omega database than their eBay listing. The Jules Borel website concurs that this reference should contain a cal. 1002 movement.

Pictures, or a link to the Watchco eBay listing, would at least let us see if the case reference visually agrees to the picture in the Omega database for Ref. 166.0094.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

Is the 1002 the one with the problems?

5. davem Jun 13, 2012

thanks for the info so far ,it is appreciated
    the link to a matching case ;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380419759174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

the omega site;
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/...tcDtzcD0wJmFtcDtzcD1GJmFtcDtzcD1UJmFtcDtzcD0w

better pic of finished watch ;
    http://www.wannabuyawatch.com/indpages/36580.html

it does seem to be 1002 movement .......dsio- what do you mean by 'the problems ' ?
    if this is indeed on e for a 1002 ,would othe 10 series calibres fit ? i can put my hands on a good 1012 right away ,though i am happy to wait and find a working 1002
    whilst i have your attention ,what is the compatibility with dials and movements for this ?
    thanks in advance folks
    dave

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

This is Desmond (Mondodec) commenting on a Cal 1002:

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

Desmond doesn't tend to embellish, so if he considers it somewhat of a piece of crap I'd tend to take his word on it.

Here's a more detailed essay on the 1000 series:

users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Movement4.pdf

8. davem Jun 13, 2012

yikes !
    dont like the sound of the 1002 ;birth defects/disaster/basket case...... fantastic !!

can it be established if any of the later 1xxx calibres could fit the case ,or is it likely to be a complicated job

thanks

dave

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 13, 2012

The later later 1xxx calibers should be OK, they are all the same diameter AFIK.

Getting the correct diameter dial may be more of an issue.

Did the case come with a movement ring?

10. davem Jun 14, 2012

no ,there isnt a movement ring -just the case on its own....
    is there somewhere that can guide me on dial sizes?
    i can look to pick up a 'better' 1xxx movement that should fit ,but most of the dials i have seen on the market are just to fit calibres ,not usually giving a diameter
    doesnt touch on dials on omega site
    i was going to look for an old donor as suggested by ULF ,but there doesnt seem to be much point if the movement is a problem

i have a gut feeling this 'project' isnt going to be quite as easy as i first thought it may be....:unsure: (suspect that is oft the case)
    thanks
    dave

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 14, 2012

If this was a late 1950's to early 1960's Seamaster or Constellation case, I'd say you should be able to pull off your project fairly easily. Case sizes were pretty standard then and most of the dials/movements were interchangeable. However, as the 1960's turned into the 1970's, Omega started experimenting with different methods of waterproofing, including one-piece cases. This looks to be one of those.

Therefore, to be functional, everything (dial, movement and hands) is going to need to fit exactly. Even the crystals on these cases are not used with any other Omegas, although it looks like Jules Borel has them in stock.

Good luck with the project,
    gatorcpa

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 15, 2012

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 15, 2012

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 15, 2012

As OP noted the Omega Database indicates this case ref is for the 1002.

These projects are always a bit of trial and error, especially on an oddball style like this.

15. davem Jun 16, 2012

thanks for putting this up
    i am looking at another 1012 on ebay uk ,if its cheap enough it could be worth a punt
    there is a 1012 with a nice dial with a dealer ,a bit dearer but would make a lovely watch ,but a bit too much to take a chance on
    theres a 1030 too
    how can i establish exactly what dia dial i need -can my watchmaker measure this or something i can do myself ,i cant find any resources that show what it should be
    i take it a 1002 movement could have a different diameter dial that i am after ?
    is it conceivable to get a non working 1002 ,but with a dial and swap with a working 1xxx movement ?

thanks in advance -im quite enjoying the hunt now ! (though my wife tells me its taking over my life.......)
    cheers

dave

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 16, 2012

This is why your project is best undertaken through a watchmaker. One who is experienced in vintage Omegas may have spare movements that could be tried out in your case to see which ones would actually work properly.

I'm "just" a collector and don't have access to all the technical details, like dimensions of movements and locations of the dial feet. Generally, different movement ebauches, or "families", have feet located at different points underneath the dial. The 1002 and 1012 are from different families, therefore, I'm assuming they will be different. I could be 100% wrong on that point.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

17. davem Jun 16, 2012

it does help yes ,appreciate all the input
    i am thinking its best to keep looking for a working donor in a battered case, there is no rush to get it done so will keep browsing t'internet
    gutted -found one that was sold a couple of weeks ago on german ebay for £100, battered case but recently serviced movement,would have been perfect
    one will turn up i am sure.....
    regards
    dave

18. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 16, 2012

Actually everything from the cal 1000 through 1022 is the same base movement and not from different families at all, the later ones were simply upgrades to the original base caliber. They are of the same diameter and dials for a 1002 fit directly onto a 1012 and visa versa. Even the cal 1020, etc day/date movements have the dial feet in the same positions as for the date only 1010/1012. You could actually use one of the day/date movements with your case as well.

The movement does not mount directly into the case anyway, it uses a movement ring. This allowed a much wider variety of types and styles of cases to be made.

Regardless of which movement you decide on you need to get one with the ring. A good watchmaker should be able to cut down the outer diameter of the ring if necessary, I've had to do it before and was fairly simple, by just mounting it onto my lathe.

The dial fits onto the movement, movement with dial fits into movement ring, which then fits into the case. It's snug fit which keeps the movement from rocking, the stem and crown (a split stem for your one piece case) keeps things from twisting around and the crystal sandwiches it all together.

[​IMG]