Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Sep 13, 2013

Hi all,

A couple of months ago, I bought a Constellation C-shape Cal. 564 from a watch shop which turned out to be a headache. Although I didn't mind much the refinished dial (the original one was beyond repair and I thought of buying one from WatchCo), it turned out to have loads of mechanical problems which would cost me about twice what I had originally paid (USD400).

While the shop won't return my money, they offered me some other watches to choose from, but they won't take any photographs of the movements -- which they have promised to be 100% in working order. No info re. cals, though.

I know it's difficult to give opinions based on the photos below, but any help will be much appreciated.

Seamaster 120, but incorrect crown and the 'automatic' on the dial is kind of messy. If I chose this one, I'd have to pay another 400 dollars.

omega1.JPG omega2.JPG

This one is my favorite, but the hour hand is too badly damaged, perhaps?
    omega3.JPG omega4.JPG

I do like these cosmics... I know they have little value, but this one seems to be quite decent.

omega5.JPG omega6.JPG

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

Paulo

2. Mothra Sep 13, 2013

I don't get why the shop that sold you a mechanically deficient watch wont give you your money back or fix the issues at their cost? I'd be livid...

3. dantaspaulo Sep 13, 2013

Brazilian law is not usually very nice when it comes to consumers. It states that if you buy something used, it is sold 'as is' and if the item stops working, the seller has no responsibility whatsoever in the matter. I don't have any other options but either taking the broken Connie or any other of these they offered me :(

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 13, 2013

The Cosmic is probably the one in nicest condition of the three. Unfortunately, it's also the one with the least collector appeal.

The 120 has the most potential, but yes, the dial is kind of a put-off. But there is some investment potential there. Here's one that was for sale on this forum:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-seamaster-120.5023/

The middle watch seems to have a nice original dial and correct NOS Omega hands are generally available from parts suppliers. You're still looking at having to put in at least $100 for a service, plus the cost of the hands. In the end, I don't think there is $500+ there, even in good condition.

You are a tough spot with this decision and I don't envy you.

However, I know what country in which I won't ever be watch shopping,
    gatorcpa

dantaspaulo likes this.
  5. Mothra Sep 14, 2013

Wow. You have my full sympathies...

dantaspaulo likes this.
  6. Sherbie Sep 14, 2013

You could try and play "dirty" yourself - suggest to the shop owner that you frequent several watch forums ( or whatever the plural for forum is - fora?), and at you will use twitter, etc to recommend that other watch collectors avoid this shop in future. Also write complaint letters to local newspapers

Cant vouch that this would work, but its worth a try

In my view, they should refund your money completely, and not try and fix you up with another "less than vintage, hooky" watch

Best of luck, paul

dantaspaulo likes this.
  7. John R Smith Sep 14, 2013

The middle watch is by far the most interesting. The case is very similar to a Tresor OT 2710 but in steel rather than 18k gold - these lugs are very distinctive. The lugs are open-sided, too, which dates it to the early 1950s and as an automatic should have a cal 351 or perhaps 354 inside, both of which are nice rugged movements. The dial looks very good indeed for its age, with nice gold batons, and provided the case-back is OK and it is a runner I would go for it. The main snag is as you say, the hands - the hour hand is corroded and the minute hand has already been replaced with one that is too long.

Just my two-pennyworth.

John

dantaspaulo likes this.
  8. dantaspaulo Sep 14, 2013

Thanks a lot for your input, guys. I'm going to stick to the 351/354 and hung some NOS hands. :)

9. dantaspaulo Sep 27, 2013

Quick update: ended up getting the 354 and it's on its way to me. I tried to find some hands on Ottofrei but with no success. Does anyone know where I could get them?

John R Smith likes this.
  10. John R Smith Sep 27, 2013

When you get the watch, open the back and photograph the movement (with rotor in both extreme positions), the inside of the caseback to show all the numbers, and do a better shot of the dial and the current set of hands. Then post all pictures here. That way people will have all the information and are more likely to come up with some answers.

11. dantaspaulo Sep 27, 2013

Will do! :)

12. dantaspaulo Oct 3, 2013

Follow up: bumper (my first!) has just arrived and it does look very pretty! Hands are not as bad as I had imagined and I'll let them be. The bump-bump-bump is just so... sexy? Thanks for the advice, John R Smith! :thumbsup:

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG
  13. dantaspaulo Oct 3, 2013

It did come with an original buckle, but no strap. I only had this oiled leather nato-style thing. Will get decent straps asap.

14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 3, 2013

Normally, hand color should match the dial hardware and the length should be correct ( I know some of you guys will come up with some "exception" but that's only 1%, I am talking about the 99%)

That sweep second hand looks too thick to me, too

15. dantaspaulo Oct 3, 2013

The hands are SS (I guess my photo skills are even worse than my watch-hunting ones), but I'd love to hear more about the sweep seconds hand.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 4, 2013

The sweep seconds hand looks fat because of the exposure setting on your phone/point'n'shoot camera. I think it's OK.

You will get better pics outside on a cloudy day, or next to a window with plenty of light. Hang a white sheet over the window to diffuse the light and lessen shadows.

(Wow, listen to me, the great photo expert who still uses a point'n'shoot myself;) )

17. John R Smith Oct 4, 2013

Well, we knew the hands were a problem right from the beginning - Hoi is correct, of course. That's OK, you have the makings of a nice little restoration project there, starting with the hands, perhaps a new crystal, and a service. To source the correct hands (which as Hoi says should be gilt, not silver) you will need the case reference number which is inside the back.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 4, 2013

Hey Jiminoz,
    You are very right. For most of casual photographer, controlling light is more important than what camera we use or how clever we set the camera (hint: the auto or pre-setting mostly is good enough, even in DSLR).
    Unfortunately in certain occasion we truly can not control the lighting. Taking picture in Omega Museum for example.

Dablitzer likes this.
  19. dantaspaulo Oct 4, 2013

Will open the case back and take (decent, hopefully) photos :thumbsup:

20. dantaspaulo Oct 13, 2013

Finally, pictures of the case back and movement. Photo skills are still dreadful, though. Anyway, it reads: 13908554 (late 1951?) and model 2446-1. I've been wearing it every now and then and she has grown on me quite a lot. Will need a decent service, though. It's been gaining some 30s/day. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG