Forums Latest Members
  1. Watch and Learn Jan 29, 2018

Hi...Ive been looking through the forums trying to find out about a watch that belongs to an old lady who lives next door, it was her husbands watch but he died a few years back and now she is considering selling it and splitting the money between her two sons. I told her to go to a jewelers and get a valuation but she doesn't want to pay in case the watch turns out to be worth only a few quid.....
    I'm not looking for a valuation or to sell it on here, only trying to find out if it worth getting it valued and trying to sell it if he decides to do so.
    The watch is an Omega Automatic which i think dates from 1977 as it has a serial number of 41 XXXXXX.
    [​IMG]
    On the movement is stamped 1010 and OMEGA SWISS, seventeen 17 jewels, unadjusted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the inside of the rear pop off case is stamped CARRURE LUNETTE, PLAQUE OR G 20 MICRONS, FOND ACIER INOXYDABLE......Which I think means.....Gold plated bezel, stainless steel back....I imagine the 20 microns refers to the thickness of the gold plating...it also has a triangle with omega watch co inside it and a rectangular shape enclosing the letters MLB and under all that is 166.0202 which I think is the model number....this is where my confusion comes in....
    [​IMG]
    Model number 166.0202 points towards a seamaster from 1976 but this watch does not have seamaster on the face and is from a year later, models from '76 have serial numbers starting with 40 XXXXXX, does this point towards the watch being a fake or having been repaired with different parts at some time ?

I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me as I have no knowledge of watches other than how to read the time from them...If you need any more info I will try to supply it if I can.

Cheers

P.S It also has the Omega LOGO on the center of the inside of the glass and on the crown.

20170303_004731.jpg 20170303_005023.jpg 20170303_005043.jpg 20170303_004955.jpg
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jan 29, 2018

There's one on eBay at the moment with a £449 buy it now price, same reference, gold coloured, rather than silver coloured dial.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Se...348240?hash=item212a76c7d0:g:lEQAAOSwRvdZaf5jPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If she just wants to sell, probably best to list it on eBay... a dealer would likely give her half what she'd get open market.

3. Watch and Learn Jan 29, 2018

Thanks for the reply....so you think it is genuine...even though the numbers don't seem to tally also that one on eBay has a different movement 1012

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 29, 2018

Serial matches the watch. No issues.

Omega serial charts have wiggle room and that model was made for a few years 76 was the first year.

Missing gold plate on the dial hurts value.

5. Watch and Learn Jan 29, 2018

So that explains the date issue....thanks
    It would have had a gold dial when new ?.......so it could have been replaced ?

6. tyrantlizardrex Jan 29, 2018

Not necessarily - there were lots of case/dial/movement variations in the 70s (as there are today), this is one of many simple three hand/date automatics produced by Omega at the time.

7. tyrantlizardrex Jan 29, 2018

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-md-166-0202/

Dial - Silvered (.011) or champagne (.012), with luminous hour markers and luminous hands.

Caliber Number - 1010/1012

Cal. 1010 : Created in 1972, 17 jewels

Cal. 1012 : Created in 1972, 23 jewels

Watch and Learn likes this.
  8. Watch and Learn Jan 29, 2018

So she could sell it as a genuine original watch without misleading anyone ?

and just out of curiosity....what does the MLB stand for ?

9. tyrantlizardrex Jan 29, 2018

She could safely sell it as an "Omega Automatic Reference MD 166.0202 gold plated" - I would be careful with adding words like "Genuine" and "Original" - it looks to be genuine, but there is no way to tell whether it is 100% factory original unless there's a paper trail for any and all services carried out between purchase and now.

MLB is most likely the case manufacturer.

Edited Jan 29, 2018
    Watch and Learn likes this.
  10. Watch and Learn Jan 29, 2018

Good point....Sadly she does not have any paperwork referring to the watch......or even a strap....must look into getting one for her

11. jimmyd13 Jan 29, 2018

Hi @Watch and Learn .

Your neighbour needs to think carefully about this watch.

The fact is that it's not a particularly desirable piece. This isn't to say it's not a nice watch, it is, but desirability and price is driven by fashion. This watch just isn't "in" and there are few signs that it will become more desirable anytime soon. However, (and what may well make it priceless) is that it is her son's father's watch. You only get one "Dad's watch" . It may well be a much more thoughtful gift to present the watch to one of the sons and something with similar sentimental value to the other.

For the watch itself, I would give a value significantly lower than the ebay example. I see these at auction with reasonable regularity and they bring £120-180 at the hammer. Looking closely at the image of the inside of the caseback, I think I see a faint scoring which would indicate a worn rotor bearing (the weight that winds the watch wobbles, scratching a circle into the back). That instantly says it needs a full service and more. Even "in the trade", that means a cost of over £100 (probably around £150) to rectify and service. An Omega service would be in the £300 range. Obviously you can see how that impacts on the value of the watch as it sits. Something that can sell in the £450-550 range at retail; less £150 for the service; less a £150 hammer price; less £30 in fees; less £40 in tax .... Leaves very little in it for a dealer. It's as harsh to write that sort of breakdown as it is to read it but that's the brutal truth.

So, if your neighbour considers gifting the actual watch, for a reasonable outlay for the service and repair, one son can have a true heirloom and something of sentimental value rather than being gifted the price of a good meal for two.

asrnj77 and Foo2rama like this.