Forums Latest Members

Advice Please - query on cosmic 2000 case and movement

1. stdanjo Jun 17, 2017

Hi fellas,

TL : DR - Can you please give information on the case type used in this example of a cosmic 2000 - was it shared with the Geneve?
    and opinions on the movement. Thank you.

Firstly - thank you so much for the resources that are on this site - I feel like I have learnt so much in the last couple of weeks and definitely saved myself from making some pretty basic rookie errors but have a LOT to learn and have got to the point where I think its just best to wait for the right watch to come up on OF to buy to make sure I don't get stung!

My story - I will turn 40 in August and have managed to convince my nearest and dearest to help me buy a prestige watch -only way I was getting the purchase past the missus - I really like the idea of having something I can pass down to my son (probably not when he's 40 as he's only 6 weeks old at the moment) - my budget is around $1500 Australian dollars (about $1100 US).

My research/decision making so far - General consensus seems to be that if you are only looking at buying one watch then make it one you want to wear - on that basis of sweet spot of looks and period I have narrowed it down to a cosmic 2000 - from around late 60's / 70s and in particular one with 20mm lugs that will allow for changing between bracelet and leather band. For the money I am hoping to get a pretty good example and possibly have some money left over to get a modern OEM leather bracelet and deployment clasp (I know there is a lot of opinion on this from various threads!).
    My original thoughts were for getting a black dial but having read the excellent guide 'on how to fish' it seems unlikely that anything with any deep color is original and even if it is its unlikely to survive to be handed down in another couple of decades! So looking at the more neutral color dials.

Sorry what were you actually asking?
    Having looked at (what feels like) thousands of watches in various places I am really keen on something like in the example below on ebay - can anyone identify a 'name' as such for the case? It is different from a lot of the cosmics as it has the 'rounded' one piece heading to the lugs as opposed to many that have what look like separate lugs (was it shared with the Geneve - or are the ones I've seen just Geneve's with replaced Seamaster dials?).
    Also - in this example the seller is advising that it has a 'very clean and original dial' again from the 'how to fish guide' the use of 'original' has now set my spidey senses tingling! Also - the movement doesn't look as 'pretty' as the many other examples - does it look genuine? Anything else I should look out for?
    Based on info I have I WON'T be proceeding with this one so not asking the seller for pictures of the inside of the case back etc but wanted to see if I could pick up some info on the case shape and movement to aid further potential purchases. And fingers crossed something comes up on the OF for sale. Any guide to what I should be expecting to pay are gladly welcomed as is any reply. For information - the one below is asking for $1000 AUD - around $760 US.

cheers

Dan

ebay info - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361742647321?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

ebay description:
    Omega Cosmic Seamaster swiss made on original steel bracelet, all stainless steel one piece case , no dings or dents in very nice condition for its age, has been recently serviced, and is in good working order ,and keeping reliable time, has quickset date features, Omega In house Cal. 1020 high beat automatic movement, the case measures 37mm excluding the crown, very clean and original dial, bracelet will fit up to 9 inch wrist size

cosmic 2000 0ebay.jpg
    Edited Jun 17, 2017