Forums Latest Members

Advice please on this 18kt seamaster calendar caliber 353

1. bieb1 May 25, 2014

Dear experts, I am reposting this here, as I jst realised I posted it in the wrong section. I am looking for advice on this seamaster calendar, 18kt, caliber 353 and judging by sellers pictures in good condition. The dial looks original to me, but script on textured dials is difficult to capture in a picture so I want to be sure it is not repainted or worse. I don't know about the hands either, since all others I have seen are faceted and these seem to be smooth. Asking price is 1500 usd, so it really should be a perfect example in my view. What do you think?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. ulackfocus May 25, 2014

It's probably an original dial, but has been cleaned at least once. I think you're correct to be skeptical of the hands. Something is amiss…. maybe the hour hand is an incorrect replacement. The serial number on the movement dates to 1950. Most of these date-at-6 caliber 35x watches would have a 1952 or later (13 million range) since these 2627's and 2757's were introduced that year, but it's not out of the norm for the movement to sit a year or two before being installed into a case at the factory. However, the trapezoid-ish date window didn't show up until some time in 1953. The early date-at-6 2757's and 2627's had square windows. This makes me more skeptical of the whole watch. Add the condition of the rotor and the scrapes on the caseback it probably made, and it equals a watch I'd pass on.

bieb1 likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 25, 2014

Something looks off on that date wheel and I'm not just referring to the prior day peeking out on the left.

Dennis may be on to something re: the square date window...

bieb1 likes this.
  4. bieb1 May 26, 2014

Thank you both for the sound advice and I will pass on this one. I like the trapezoid date version, but am not in a rush and will be patient until the right one comes along. Thanks again for taking the time to review!