Advice please - Omega Speedmaster strap (and more)

Hi.

Would really like some advice please. My son has inherited an Omega Speedmaster, I think from the late 60s. Have attached a few photos. I know very little about Omegas apart from what I’ve read about them here. It’s in good condition, although it’s got a scratch on the glass and it looks like it could do with a clean. But it’s been serviced previously by Omega, I think, and it hasn’t been worn much in recent years.

I’ve got two questions:

1. Firstly, the strap is way too big for my teenage son, and the links on it seem quite gappy and loose. We took it into a local jewellers who said that none of the links were removable and offered instead to replace the strap with another Omega strap (I think by sending it off to Omega). Should we do that? We’re loathed to replace something that was part of the original watch with something new. Is that sensible? Is the original strap repairable maybe? Or is it possible to buy another strap from the same period? Would replacing the strap with something new (or something old) affect the value of the watch?

2. And secondly, how can we best care for the watch? It’s a fantastic heirloom (from his submariner grandfather), and my son will probably only wear it occasionally, so should we wind it regularly? If so, how often and how much?

Thanks for your advice. It’s a beautiful watch and an amazing piece of engineering, so we just want to make sure we’re looking after it properly.

C

Hello

To know more about the watch you would need to get someone to open the caseback and then note the numbers there.. or post a photo here.

The dial has been replaced and out likely the hands.

There are a number of bracelets that would work for the watch and that one is not particularly valuable nor likely it's original.

It looks it has a lot of history... it is a sentimental watch, but the numerous modifications look "strange" for my eyes...
It looks like a 105.003 case and back... with service crown, bezel, hands, service dial but not correct period service dial...
So.
It depends on what you want: wear it, and no question, it will be a reliable watch (however be careful to the rain!...).
Go back to original condition: this will be a very nice but expensive project...

The bracelet is valuable: looks like a 1171/633, and maybe a 1171 "first gen" which is quite sought after.
(As previously said, not correct for the period).

The local jeweler was correct, all of the removable links have been removed. Your son must be somewhat young yet. There is no shame in removing that bracelet for now and setting it aside and using something else. A Velcro-based strap might be a decent idea.

If your son is still in the gawky groing-too-fast phase, you may want to suggest not wearing it yet, because banging it around is inevitable... in which case, a covered military-style Velcro strap makes the most sense.

The bracelet is not original to the watch, so there's no problem with removing it and setting it aside. Perhaps you son will eventually grow into it. A leather or nylon strap is an option. Also, there are some good aftermarket bracelets that may adjust to smaller sizes. I don't know the size of your son's wrist, but uncleseiko makes some nice Speedmaster bracelets. You need one with 19mm end-links. If you measure your son's wrist, I imagine that the proprietor of the site (@Uncle Seiko) will be able to tell you if a given bracelet will work for him.

https://www.uncleseiko.com/collections/speedmaster-1