Forums Latest Members
  1. dolbyscat Dec 3, 2016

DSC03232.JPG Hello all, a new member wanting some advice...I recently purchased this Omega, it is a model 2605-11 cal 266. Should I get the dial cleaned, and what would you suggest for a new strap and buckle? The strap that is on it is just a cheap replacement so I could wear it. Any pointers in the right direction much appreciated.

Edited Dec 3, 2016
    Giff2577 likes this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 3, 2016

Hi Dolbyscat,
    This dial has a nice texture but it does have patina.
    The case looks good but the general rule is that dials cannot be cleaned. What you see usually is not 'dirt' that can just be lifted, it is the ageing process of the varnishes which form the surface of the dial. Others here might have more insights and advice.
    If you like it the way it is then you should just have the movement serviced by a good watchmaker and enjoy it. You should not allow anyone to buff or polish the case as it would look odd (and ugly) to have a shiny case clashing with the dial patina.
    Best regards,
    S

dolbyscat likes this.
  3. Vicke Dec 3, 2016

Trying to clean the dial will most probably ruin it completely, I wouldn't touch it. If the watch isn't served recently, have a watchmaker give the movement an overhaul and just clean the case. A light polish to the crystal on top of that, and you have a good-looking watch witch shows it age beautifully.

dolbyscat likes this.
  4. cimo Dec 3, 2016

The waffle dial on your watch is really quite nice! The coloring is not so easily "cleaned," and attempting to do so risks damaging the dial. I would do my best to enjoy it as is!

5. dolbyscat Dec 3, 2016

Thanks Vicke and Syrte, I will look into getting it serviced, I have no idea as to it's history, it was a thrift store find...unbelievably. It does seem to be original and un-molested to my untrained eye, and the movement is in beautiful gleaming condition, it runs just a tad slow about 10 secs a day.

6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 3, 2016

Please correct me if I'm wrong: I believe some of the better watch-makers have dial brushes that will remove any loose impediments without doing any damage to the dial itself.

dolbyscat likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Dec 3, 2016

Rodico also can remove slightly more stubborn pieces of dirt too.

However, the rule of thumb for dials is only clean it if you're willing to have it completely repainted because there's a good chance any cleaning solution could remove the ink / paint.

dolbyscat likes this.
  8. dolbyscat Dec 3, 2016

Is there any recommendations for where, or what to get as far as strap and omega buckle. I'm guessing I should look for a correct era buckle.

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 3, 2016

I totally agree with not using any type of cleaning solution. But how 'bout a specific dial brush?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 4, 2016

A dial brush is probably the least risky way of removing loose dirt (aside from using a blower). But it still comes with risk...ask me how I know...

You can't really leave loose dirt on the dial, as having it float around will eventually cause problems. But even the lightest touch with a dial brush can still be too much. It really depends on the state of the dial. They can sometimes be incredibly fragile, with paint literally just falling off them.

Rodico really should not be used on dials...at least that is Omega policy. In fact Omega doesn't allow its use at all - if you take it with you to their training, they will take it away from you. Not only does it leave residue behind (even the "premium" grey coloured version) but it is tacky enough to lift printing from a fragile dial. Bergeon makes a swab that many manufacturers recommend:

https://mccawcompany.com/watch-tools/cleaning-supplies/bergeon-7007-22-adhesive-cleaning-swabs.html

Although they use the word "adhesive" in the description, there's no adhesive. The tip of the swap is urethane, so it is like one of those lint rollers essentially.

These are what I use, and they work well for most dials, in particular gloss dials where residue from Rodico would be a big issue. For vintage dials that are fragile, not so much and I still use a dial brush for those if I use anything at all.

Cheers, Al

MikiJ and NT931 like this.