Forums Latest Members

Advice on where to buy Seamaster Aqua Terra and price

1. maconomist Feb 23, 2019

Hi all, I've been eyeing the Aqua Terra 41M (220.12.41.21.03.002) for the past year that retails for 5400 USD + tax in the US, but haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on it, since I don't buy luxury watches and this would be a big purchase for me. I noticed it can be found in the grey market for ~4200 final, which is substantially less than retail + tax (9.5% in southern california), so I'd be saving ~1700 in total. In Europe, I could probably get this for ~4500 - 5000 USD final after doing tax free. I found a local authorized dealer that might be able to give me a break on the sales tax, maybe a little bit extra, but it's still 1000 bucks more than grey market price.

Is the peace of mind of going with an AD and getting Omega's warranty worth the extra thousand bucks? Paying a premium is not a huge deal for me, assuming there's a rational justification for doing so, especially when the grey market price is so much lower for this watch... It makes me wonder why it's so much cheaper in the grey market...

Really appreciate your advice, thanks!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 24, 2019

It’s a question only you can answer. Sorry, things are split on this forum on the 3 ways. I’ve had 1 watch need a warranty service but I don’t feel it’s necessary, purchased from an AD. I have 1 grey market that was no longer in production, and I have an LE only available from a Boutique with no discount.

3. speedyproftw Feb 24, 2019

I've bought several Omegas from grey market dealers, including some who use this forum. Just do your homework and be sure to check out the seller profiles & reviews section.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 24, 2019

5. VintageWatchIta Feb 24, 2019

On this forum you can find a lot of good solution for your purchase, some dealers have tons of positive feedback and you can find good prices :thumbsup:

6. maconomist Feb 24, 2019

Hi all, thanks for your advice. I ended pulling the trigger at a local AD today, since I was able to get it for 4500, a slight premium over the grey market, and wanted the peace of mind / this is my first big watch purchase.

One strange thing though... the AD wasn't aware that Omega updated their warranty to 5 years in November, and my warranty card says its 4 years in the back, even though the date of purchase is today and, according to Omega, any watch purchased after July 1, 2018 gets 5 years warranty.

Do you know how I can validate that I will indeed get 5 years warranty on this watch? Is there a number I should call Omega with my serial?

drdubzz and ama98 like this.
  7. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Feb 24, 2019

Relax. You don’t need to call anyone. Your warranty is 5 years. They are still using old stock warranty cards that don’t reflect that yet, but all that matters is the purchase date on the card. Congrats on the AT...they are beautiful!

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. maconomist Feb 24, 2019

Thanks @3nicewatches, that gives me peace of mind. Time to enjoy my new AT and join the Omega community :)

9. hbombkid Feb 25, 2019

Congrats. 4500 out the door or did you have to pay tax as well? If that is all in only a couple hundred over a trusted seller and a good deal.

Piece of mind is #1 though.

10. brokenblinker Feb 25, 2019

I have that exact same watch on bracelet, and also got it from the AD for $4500 OTD after tax.

I showed them the exact grey market version I was going to buy unless they could reach that number and they knew I was serious about purchasing that day.

Edited Feb 25, 2019
  11. Comtaygious Feb 25, 2019

Joma best price always... 3,350

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2019

Forum rule

Pictures or it never happened.....

13. maconomist Feb 26, 2019

Thanks! It was 4500 out the door.

I was looking at the Warranty Card more closely today and noticed that only the AD’s name is printed on the card, but the Date and Serial # were filled out by hand with a sharpie, and the Ref No was left blank. The Pictograms and Master Chronometer cards have all printed info.

Is it ok for the warranty card to be handwritten? Or should I take it back to get the SN, Date, Ref printed on the card? Very strange, since I bought from a very well known, high end AD in Southern California.

I was reading in other threads that apparently ADs in the US fill warranties by hand, this seems quite precarious for such an item, is this so?

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2019

All fine.

Was it traditional?

15. maconomist Feb 26, 2019

Thanks, what do you mean by traditional?

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2019

Traditional Jewlers

17. maconomist Feb 26, 2019

No, wasn’t that one. But I’ll keep them in mind next time.

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. WatchWatcher101 Jul 6, 2019

Where did you end up purchasing, if you don't mind me asking?

19. tjs Jul 7, 2019

If you buy enough watches, the money you save from greys will offset any repairs (if you don't trust the after market warranty that is). If you are buying just one watch every few years. I recommend a trusted seller on the forums or AD/OB.

20. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 7, 2019

Read the 6th post in this thread