Forums Latest Members

Advice on what to do with this Polerouter Date?

1. Eapfep May 15, 2019

Hi all,

I recently acquired this vintage Polerouter Date from a friend’s family estate sale for what I believe to be a decent price.

lVqkrJo.jpg JzOvQuK.jpg ibXLRmX.jpg b2jPg5b.jpg

Details:
    • Serial on back lists this as a 204612-2, from the mid 1960s (As per: https://universalgenevepolerouter.com/reference-tables/reference-table-steel-gold-plated/)
    • Dial looks pretty good to my eye, some dust under the crystal that could get cleaned out
    • Seller claims the movement was serviced a couple of years ago, based on my two weeks of wearing this I have no reason to doubt that as it keeps time quite accurately and the date switches over properly
    • The crystal has been replaced (I believe OEM has a magnifier)
    • The crown has been replaced by a “super-compressor” style crown but works perfectly
    • The minute hand looks like a replacement (newer lume and longer than supposed to be)

I'm debating between listing for sale or undergoing the journey of finding a correct crown and minute hand. Alternatively I could ask for a refund on this piece.

Wondering what you guys would advise as best path forward, how would I even approach finding the right parts if I were to keep it?

Edited May 15, 2019
    thelinendial likes this.
  2. Masterofkarate May 15, 2019

Think both the dial and overall condition on the case calls for a keep. Or sell it to me;)
    Missing some pictures of caseback or movement though.
    Overall a beautiful piece!

Eapfep likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 15, 2019

I would post photos and not a link to them.

4. Eapfep May 15, 2019

Apologies and point taken. The pictures have been added to my original post above.

5. bgrisso May 15, 2019

Depends on what you paid. If you got a good price, I think it looks great, you can try to find the right parts over time. If you paid top $$ expecting everything to be right, then I would either return it or ask for partial refund due to wrong hand, crystal, crown.

6. Eapfep May 15, 2019

That’s a great point. In your mind - what’s an approximate market rate for a Polerouter in this condition? I’m inclined to start working with my watch guy to service + slowly source parts as they become available (mostly the minute hand, I’m not as bothered by the crown) - just want to make sure I haven’t been “screwed” so to speak.

7. bgrisso May 16, 2019

its a bit hard to say value with the wrong hand, crystal and crown. I also can't tell if those scratches are on the dial or the crystal? I think in the $1K to $1500 USD range is probably reasonable, perhaps a bit conservative.

8. CafeRacer May 16, 2019

The scratches are on the dial.

9. bgrisso May 16, 2019

well that obviously affects the value quite a bit....

10. Wildboar May 16, 2019

Looks like a early polerouter sub crown so if you can save that you’ll be able to sell it or trade it.

11. Eapfep May 16, 2019

Yup - I was hoping it might be speck(s) of dust, but given the slightly metallic sheen I'm given to believe they are scratches on the dial.

12. Eapfep May 16, 2019

Cool find! I'll make sure my watch guy is aware of this and we preserve that crown even if I find a replacement.

13. Eapfep May 16, 2019

Interesting... what kind of a slash on overall value are we looking at here? To be honest I could probably live with it, but a little concerned about investing a bit (~300 USD) for an overhaul if it's a super steep negative multiplier.

14. bgrisso May 16, 2019

i think that is very hard to quantify, as it becomes up to what an individual will pay. But I would say it would significantly affect value. If you can live with it, perhaps just enjoy it as is and don't worry about putting more money into it ? Its still a nice looking watch, even if not all correct