Forums Latest Members
  1. trey333 Sep 9, 2016

Hi guys,

I'm new to the watch collecting world but I have really been attracted to vintage Omega timepieces. I really appreciate quality, history and a good deal and these seem like a great place to start.

I found this forum and have read some great info. Lots of reports of great finds and lots of beneficial advice on how to spot fakes.

I would love to find a nice Geneve. I've seen videos on YouTube recommending these as good values and I have found a variety on ebay that look great. I am just a little overwhelmed and concerned by the number of sellers on ebay and the number of buyers who bid on stuff that is obviously faked.

I figured that since these were relatively low ticket items that their wouldn't be too many fakes, but it seems that the market is flooded with people making frankens out of these and other similar models.

I hope my post doesn't fall into the category of a dumb newb not doing his due dilegence by searching the forums but I do have a few specific questions:

1) Are these even something I should be looking at as a beginner with a smaller budget? Or are there better buys out there? Should I save up for something else?

2) Is there a better online marketplace than ebay? I can't seem to find anything else with a big selection for this budget. Any particular sellers that you would recommend who specialize in older more affordable omegas?

Thank you for your help!

- Trey

Jwit likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 9, 2016

Hi Trey. Welcome to ΩF.

1) Vintage Omega is a little above the beginner's level, but we can help. Since the brand is popular, there will be lots of shenanigans. Better brands to find bargains with at roughly the same quality level of Omega are Eterna, Certina, and Longines. Longines is gaining in popularity, and with that comes price increases and more substandard watches, but Eterna is still a relatively unmined vein with the exception of the Kon Tiki models. I'm not a Certina collector but you'll find a few here.

2) The best marketplace for mostly fair pricing and honest watches is right here in our Sales Forum.

3. Artifice Sep 9, 2016

I am still fairly new here as well but I found my first vintage watch here. I suggest being patient and find one that catches your eye in the sales forum here.

Also, some good advice I've heard here 'The price of a watch is how much YOU are willing to pay for it'. Oh and be patient.:)

Welcome to Omega Forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trey333 and Jwit like this.
  4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 9, 2016

your price region should get you mostly late 60ies early 70ies watches ... just make sure you ask before committing

here's a good marketplace, another one (meta)marketplace is www.watchrecon.com

cheers and luck

Jonatan and trey333 like this.
  5. tapaptpat Sep 10, 2016

Hey welcome to the OBG. oldies but goodies. Another noob here. I would say this, there are two things you need to learn,

1 Learn your way about the watch, make a list of all the thing you need to check. Case pollished or not. Glass is it scratched acrylic plexiglass sapphire. Buttons and crown....it get very involved

2 Find one or two references that you like and work through number 1

When you get stuck seek help from the crew here. They are awesome. Add a photo and or a link.

Granddads Omega and friends.

[​IMG]

Good luck and enjoy
    Pat

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

trey333 likes this.
  6. tapaptpat Sep 10, 2016

To Answer you 2 main questions.

Vintage can be had at this price. The hard part is learning the pit falls. For new you have other problems like. 500 is not enough. The watches above are all below 500. Is there something more important to save for? You are the only one capable of that answer.

EBay well the internets flee market does have deals. But it's hard. The sales areas here is full of goodness. There are markets literally all over the world. Pick a country and there will be 2 3 4 alternatives to eBay.

+1 on the comments by @ulackfocus and @Artifice and @al128

Cheers
    Pat

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Edited Sep 10, 2016
    trey333 likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Sep 10, 2016

I think you should be able to find a decent Geneve within your budget, especially if you look at the 70s models. They are often available in good condition and pretty cheap :)

Otherwise, spend some time here and learn the ropes. For instance, go have a look in the "other brands" subforum, and I am sure that some options you've never considered will suddenly appear. For my part, I have taken a liking to vintage Tissots, starting out with two specimens I found in second hand stores, to now where I have to models both from the 40s:

DSC_0038.JPG

Tissot.jpg

Okay, the first one is outside your budget, but the second isn't. And a lot of Tissots use movements very like those in vintage Omegas and with a finish of the same level - but a much, much lower price :)

8. Sanmilc Sep 10, 2016

I agree, Tissots are nice and not that popular so you could find with a little of luck a good watch without paying a fortune....

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 10, 2016

+1
    My route into Omega was through a Tissot I was given
    Some lovely vintage Tissots around

10. ulackfocus Sep 10, 2016

I had an evergreen dial Tissot Sea Star in nearly NOS condition a few years back. These are still available in the set budget.

11. trey333 Sep 10, 2016

Thanks for the advice and brand suggestions!

12. trey333 Sep 10, 2016

Thanks for the info and showing me some examples of some awesome vintage Tissots! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for those.

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 10, 2016

These watches were bought this year on Ebay, for under $400, a couple under $300 except for the Constellation ($425) COSMIC.jpg 2016-08-16 001.JPG 2016-07-28 002.JPG
    2016-05-04 005.JPG 2016-05-04 003.JPG

14. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 10, 2016

This non-marked 1972 Geneve was under $300 on eBay:

20160822_114846-1024x1365.jpg

kingsrider likes this.