Forums Latest Members

Advice on used 3572.50 vs used Sapphire Sandwich

1. larryganz The cable guy Mar 8, 2018

Let say that you were going to do a Mitsukoshi Mod, and in one hand you have a 1yr old Speedy Sapphire Sandwich that was grey market and no warranty but 4 yr away from needing a service > and in the other hand you have a Speedy 3572.50 that costs $500 less and could be as old as the year 2000-2010 (77,016,xxx serial number) with no service history (seller admits it's been polished but it looks sharp). Either one can have a 2 yr Assurion warranty added for under $200, but that wont cover abuse such as lack of proper servicing, right?

Which would you go for and why?

My thoughts. As posted previously, I want to mod my Speedy 3570.50 with the Paramedic mod with my white Italian dial, black hands, red sweep second, and 15 Pulsations bezel. So for my Mitsukoshi dial and hands I'm thinking about modding another Speedy, but with a display case-back and 1863 movement.

I need another watch like a hole in the head, so I'm not in a hurry to do this second mod right now. But it might if the watch is right at the right time. Even better is if you talk me out of this completely for now. My other option is that if I don't like the white Italian dial mod, I can switch out to the Mitsukoshi and sell whichever dial and handset I like the least.

For me, the newer Sapphire Sandwich is attractive with it's presentation box and all the goodies including newer screw bracelet. And I've held a Mitsukoshi mod in a Sapphire Sandwich and it was gorgeous despite the Sapphire front crystal which gave it a more elegant and dressy look.

But the warm Hesalite also calls to me, albeit in a watch that may need a full service at the time of the mod ($300-500 by my local watchmaker) instead of being able to wait 4 more years for a full service. The $500 I save by not getting the Sapphire Sandwich could pay for the local service and mod parts install.

ONE LAST OPTION - trade the 3570.50 + the new watch cash for a New Speedy Tuesday, and then sell the two mods and live with that.

2. Seacow Mar 8, 2018

I like Hesalite more, I would go for 3572.50. And a fresh service can go long way with worry free. ::rimshot::

3. larryganz The cable guy Mar 8, 2018

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I already have a couple of Speedy Pro with the steel case-back (but I wont mod the vintage 861) and I want a display case-back this time. But I'm still not sure how I feel about a Sapphire in the front. Like I said, on the Mitsukoshi Mod I played with last year, the sapphire did give the watch an extra touch of elegance with the white panda dial and silver hands - more blingy.

I could get a brand new Hesalite Speedy with Omega 2-yr warranty but no display case-back for only $200 more than the 3572.50 after all the service and mod costs, but the 3572.50 is more uncommon with the display case-back which would make it more fun to mod.

4. Seacow Mar 8, 2018

3572.50 also have a metal chrono brake, which the new Hesalite Speedy will have a teflon one. And the movement finish is also different.

speedmaster6.jpg