Forums Latest Members
  1. No clue Jun 26, 2014

Hello,

I am hoping to purchase a vintage watch for my fiancé for a wedding present and have found this. Could anyone please give me any advice on whether it is a nice collectable? He is a watch enthusiast but only has one vintage, which is Rolex, that was his fathers. I want to add to his collection but with a watch that is wearable.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

454e-normal.jpg 454a-normal.jpg 454f-normal.jpg 454c-normal.jpg
  2. No clue Jun 26, 2014

The title if this helps:

1960s Seamaster Automatic De Ville with Rare Original Omega "Racing" Dial in As New Superb Condition on Lizard Skin Strap with Signed Omega Buckle and Omega Glass

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 26, 2014

what's your definition of collectible? This particular watch is right on the bubble of becoming vintage. I'm guessing it's 36 - 39 years old or so.

the "seamaster deville" is one of omegas entry level dress watches. If you're familiar with rolex, it would roughly be equivalent to an air king or a precision.

these watches are collectible in so much as there exists a fairly liquid aftermarket for clean watches of this sort and type. The price of this watch will most likely remain stagnant as there were just far too many of these produced for it ever to become a rare item.

Do you plan on having it engraved? I think that would be nice.

you can check the "completed transactions" section of ebay to find the current value of this watch.

good luck with your wedding!

4. No clue Jun 26, 2014

Thanks you citizenrich for that information. I don't expect it to become a rare item and that isn't really the reason for buying. It's more for the sentiment but I guess I'd like him to be impressed with my choice?

The Rolex he has is a Paul Newman Daytona so I know this isn't in the same league! But hopefully he would wear this (unlike the Rolex!)

The advertised price is £895, would you say that is about right or too much?

Yes I definitely plan on getting it engraved. :)

Thank you

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 26, 2014

These are great dress watches. The omega cal 5xx series are impressively reliable for what they are (auto-winding tiny machines).

The knock on these watches is that they're too small (34mm vs ~39mm avg for most modern dress watches). I don't agree with this and I'm a big guy - 6'3" / 245lbs.
    I never feel like these watches are small especially when I'm wearing a cuffed shirt. I wouldn't wear this watch to go weightlifting but I can't exercise with any watch or jewelry.

i'm loathe to give price advice but keep in mind that you could purchase an identical watch in solid gold for less than £800 - £900.

i would feel more comfy buying this watch with a good warranty from a reputable seller in the £500 range. Doubtful this seller would come down that much but it doesn't cost anything to ask him / her. You could peruse the "for sale" forum on this board and find a half dozen sales comps in 5 minutes.

happy hunting!

ps - my guess is your SO would be very happy with this selection. It really is a hot little watch.

6. Habitant Jun 26, 2014

A thought: you might find something of interest in the sales forum on this site (http://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/). Most of the watches there are being offered by fellow members, enthusiasts with reputations to preserve, so there's a certain amount of pressure on them–not to mention the fact that you can solicit opinion from the wider readership and validate your purchase.
    Getting it engraved is a nice touch, but can I just let you know that engraving generally reduces the eventual resale value? I know it isn't part of your thinking today, but I'm just offering the opinion to aid with your education...

citizenrich likes this.
  7. No clue Jun 26, 2014

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 26, 2014

There you go. That seller (member) is one of the straightest shooters in the enthusiast - collecting crowd. Believe me, it'll be easier dealing with him than CarrCollectibles or whatever they're called. (nice watches but big $$$€€££).

he'll figuratively hold your hand every step of the way.

*edit - if you look at those high def photos you can see a little Omega symbol engraved into the crystal dead center.
    you might have to look for a sec. neway - that means the crystal is either original or was replaced with an expensive piece. Either way, you know this watch was babied.

No clue and Habitant like this.
  9. Mathlar Jun 26, 2014

NT931 likes this.
  10. Habitant Jun 26, 2014

…and a price drop, to boot!!!

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 26, 2014

Agreed, can't go wrong with X350 XJR

12. NT931 Jun 26, 2014

+1 on X350 Xjr !

13. No clue Jun 26, 2014

Thanks so much everyone. You've been very helpful. Hopefully I will successfully purchase the one from X350 XJR :)

14. Siac Jun 26, 2014

and it's only $795 now! XJR's looks much smarter too. I'm interested to read teh big wrist comment - that put me off these a bit, but might have to change my mind now. Race ya! ;) (you have dibs)

15. No clue Jun 26, 2014

Oh eek! Please let me win.... :)

16. larryganz The cable guy Jun 27, 2014

So, is it now yours? It's a beautiful watch - if I was a 1962 I would have had to fight you for it.

17. No clue Jun 27, 2014

Yes it is :) I hope I've chosen well for him!

Thanks everyone for your help.

citizenrich and UncleBuck like this.
  18. bieb1 Jun 27, 2014

Good choice, it really is a very nice watch. All the best with the wedding.

citizenrich likes this.
  19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 27, 2014

Hi No Clue,
    I like your user name :thumbsup:, very straight forward.

citizenrich likes this.