Forums Latest Members

Advice on this Seamaster De Ville Ref.166.020 Cal. 565

1. exoviv Jul 22, 2019

Hey guys first time poster here. I've recently caught the vintage virus and have been browsing hours daily looking for my dream vintage watch. I've been mostly looking at 60/70s SMDVs and Connies. Anyhow I came across this listing online which caught my eye and I'm seriously considering it. Some info provided by the seller:

Year: 1965
    Ref: 166.020
    Caliber: 565

The seller also purports that this watch has all the original parts, apart from the strap.

So I did quite a bit of research and referenced photos of similar models on Omega's Official Vintage DB as well as Omegaaddict's database, and thought that the texts down below (particular the upper case 'S' and the spacing between 'D' and 'E' seem a little bit off. The seller maintains that the watch has never been repainted. The seller's positive track record of over 180 reviews has made me a little partial towards him telling the truth, but I'm no expert so I'm really uncertain.

What do you all think? I'd love to know. Should I go forward with the purchase?
    Omega SMDV 1.jpg Omega SMDV 5.jpg Omega SMDV 4.jpg Omega SMDV 3.jpg Omega SMDV 2.jpg Omega SMDV 6.jpg Omega SMDV 7.jpg Omega SMDV 8.jpg Omega SMDV 9.jpg

Onion0909 likes this.
  2. Noddyman Jul 22, 2019

I am inclined to agree with the seller, all looks original to me.
    Slightly unusual having the black infill + lumed hands, - not seen that before on this particular reference. I am not saying it’s wrong as the dial also has black markers with lume pips on the outer edge.
    The case looks sharp and the crown is original.
    Very nice example imo.

exoviv likes this.
  3. exoviv Jul 22, 2019

Thank you for the reply!

I have to agree, I have yet to find another SMDV in the database with similar-looking hands. Most of them don't have don't have the black infill.

One more question - Does the Seahorse logo on the back look right to you? It seems to me that majority of the SMDVs in the mid-60s have a small Omega logo right underneath the logo but this doesn't.

4. Rochete Jul 22, 2019

Looks genuine to me. Nice dial. Case a bit polished.

5. Noddyman Jul 22, 2019

Mmmh I see what you mean.
    Maybe that 565 movement is a transplant and pre-dates the case and dial. T Swiss Made T seems a little early for 1965. The lumed/black infill hands also suggests later 60’s/ early 70’s style. You can find this same Hippocampus case back if you Google 70’s SMDV models.
    Just my thoughts, wait for others to reply.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 22, 2019

Case back looks fine, one of several variations, different maker perhaps.

Hands seem a bit short, minute hand typically just touches the edge of the minute track on these.

7. nkhandekar Jul 22, 2019

This looks like a nice iteration of this watch. I have had two Seamaster devilles with this caseback version and Omega did not raise an eyebrow. One of mine also had the black and lume hands. No concern there on that front, but the hands on this watch do seem to be a little short. This has nice sharp facets on the front of the lugs. Mine, with a cal 565 movement, said adjusted to two positions on the bridge above twenty-four 24 jewels. It looks like that part may have been replaced at some point. I think its a great looking watch in very good condition.

8. Kapka Jul 22, 2019

Looks good to me.. I have had a few of those with black index and lumed hands. They have been produced for a long period with many different dials.. so even if the hands are later replacements who cares.. In general, the watch looks very attractive to me.. Good luck!

5326F438-6DE2-43B7-9ADC-D4AAF7D275C5.jpeg 93A56858-1B16-403C-A158-B9A93101C102.jpeg
  9. exoviv Jul 23, 2019

May I ask how much you paid for yours? Cause the seller’s asking for a whopping $1300, albeit saying that it’s been serviced less than half a year ago. I know I’m paying a considerable premium but given the condition it’s in, would this price be within the reasonable range?

10. Rochete Jul 23, 2019

Whopping indeed. It's a dealer price for people who don't have the interest/time/knowledge to do any hunt but just want a watch now to wear or give. If that's your case buy it, since you like it. Otherwise you better hunt and for sure will be able to find something similar for much less, for example in here:

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

Edited Jul 23, 2019
  11. exoviv Jul 23, 2019

I was able to identify this type of hand on the database, but the length does seem to be on the shorter side. Would you consider this a red flag? Any other parts I should be concerned about?

12. exoviv Jul 23, 2019

Thank you for the suggestion! To be honest I don't mind paying extra since it's serviced, as long as it's not a franken and a redial, that's what I really want to make sure of...

13. ChrisN Jul 23, 2019

It looks a nice watch but, others have said that. I'm not sure about the hands as they look fine to me but, you've got opinions above.

It is a lot of money though. Was it really serviced recently? If so, then having the cat hold the movement (or using some sort of black glove with lots of long fibres) is not a good thing. Is there a a photo of the inside of the case as this mark on the rotor is not a good thing because it looks like the rotor is catching the case back due to a worn bush. Ask if they resolved that and see if you can get a receipt for the service to find out who did it. That rotor doesn't look clean either.

It would be a shame to pay for the re-assurance of a serviced watch and it not to have resolved the issues.

Cheers, Chris
    upload_2019-7-23_16-44-53.png

Rochete likes this.
  14. ilayd Jul 23, 2019

Make sure that the seller can provide you with a copy of the invoice to show that it was actually serviced, and by whom. If it was serviced by a quick mall stand watchmaker, you'll still need a full service. As ChrisN pointed out, the rotor looks like it was rubbing, so unless there is evidence that it was in fact adequately serviced, I wouldnt take their word for it... Looking online you'll find that almost all watches for sale were "recently serviced."

exoviv likes this.
  15. Kapka Jul 25, 2019

Well, I got them a while ago and sold them as well. For 1300 I would expect at least 1 and the half DeVille :).. The last one I sold for around 800 USD .Good luck!

exoviv likes this.