Forums Latest Members

Advice on this recent automatic Speedy?

1. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 14, 2016

i was at my watchmaker's on unrelated business and saw that they had this used Speedy automatic. It fit perfectly, felt right at home, and their price was $3K. Too much? Do things look right? I wound it and the chrono hand snapped right back. It's a snap back and of course the Speedy opener is en route...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

dalethorn likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 14, 2016

Edited May 14, 2016
    ahartfie likes this.
  3. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 14, 2016

Thanks; off I go to do more research. I haven't felt particularly attracted to "traditional" Speedmasters before I put one on today. I have been telling myself I'm holding out for a 176.0014 (TV dial model) but but but.

4. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 14, 2016

Well, after 5 minutes of research I can tell that 3K is far too much to pay for this example. I wonder if they'll haggle. The sales clerk told me it'd been there for awhile and based on its displayed date in September, it couldn't hurt to try, I guess.

oddboy likes this.
  5. WurstEver May 14, 2016

I have a friend who has the more colourful "Schumacher" version of this watch sitting in the sock drawer. It's a really cool watch, but neither he nor I know much about their value. Sorry - I can't offer much in the way of help, but I'm interested to hear what you find out and how the negotiations go, if you decide to go that far.

ahartfie likes this.
  6. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 15, 2016

Last night I was looking at the pictures I took and I discovered that you guys have corrupted me. I completely overlooked the Constellation they had. Granted, it's not one I want, but still, those two Speedies blinded me.
    image.jpeg

dalethorn and WurstEver like this.
  7. WurstEver May 15, 2016

I can sympathise! I believe this is a symptom of a medical condition known as "speedy-induced blindness". While usually temporary, the severity of the condition has been shown to reliably increase in the presence of DON bezels. You should avoid operating heavy machinery for a couple of hours after an episode :)

ahartfie likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 15, 2016

Do I spy a nice dynamic in there?

I wonder what they want for that.

ahartfie likes this.
  9. relaxer7 May 16, 2016

Quite pricey

ahartfie likes this.
  10. leetse2 May 16, 2016

Seems a little pricey, check Watchrecon. I just looked and there is a decent looking Mark 40 with boxes and papers for under $2k. And looking at the history on these watches you could probably get a decent one with B&P for less than $1,500. Good luck!

I kinda like the Dynamic. Funky font but a great layout for a chronograph. Especially since it does not have a date.

ahartfie likes this.
  11. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 21, 2016

I was there dropping off my Defy so I asked. $1800.
    image.jpeg

12. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 21, 2016

I was talking with one of the watchmakers there who was wearing a Speedy and is quite an enthusiast. I told him about here and we had a good chat. Who knows, maybe he'll join.