Forums Latest Members
  1. virro Sep 7, 2015

Hi!

I´ve been looking for a correct sm300 for a few months and has been offered this example. What can you tell me about it? SN seems to be in the ballpark, and the dial looks fine to me (but I would love to hear your thoughts regarding this). The font on the caseback and insert seems correct as well. What concerns me is that the tip of the minute hand and the seconds hand seems to glow or be in a lighter shade then the rest. Oh well, let´s see some pictures and take it from there!

Thanks in advance
    Victor

image-1.jpeg image-2.jpeg image-4.jpeg image2.JPG image-3.jpeg image3.1.jpg photo.JPG image5.JPG image4-1.JPG image3-1.JPG image2-1.JPG image1.JPG

Baz9614 likes this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 7, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    virro likes this.
  3. Davidt Sep 7, 2015

Is it normal for an original 60's Seamaster 300 dial to glow like that?

Even when I hit my Speedmasters with a bright light, they glow for a minute or so but nothing like that.

4. lwong Sep 7, 2015

Looks fine to me.

5. virro Sep 7, 2015

According to the seller the lume glows for 30 seconds or so. But that makes me a bit worried as well.

6. watchlovr Sep 7, 2015

Looks fine to me too, not a show winner but honest enough.
    Second hand could be a later replacement.
    Lume in the hour hand will fall out soon unless you stabilise it.
    A good "vintage" relume of all 3 hands would set it off nicely.

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 7, 2015

the glow is typical for this vintage, it should glow briefly then fade.
    The minute hand could be a replacement, very hard to tell from images

The hands and dial lume are rather dirty, if you are ok with this then it looks ok. Personally I avoid the dirty examples.

8. virro Sep 7, 2015

I think im okey with it. I´ve been searching for a while and it is hard to fine good examples (I guess that´s kind of the point :p ). How much would you pay for this watch if you were forced to buy it?

9. Davidt Sep 7, 2015

I could see the dial lume being original but the hands and bezel look awfully bright. I have little experience of these models though and I guess we are talking about a larger area of lume compared to a Speedmaster.

10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 7, 2015

if they fade quickly thats the key. I dont see any difference in brightness in the photo, but they only way to judge is with the watch in your hand. Personally I would pass regardless due to the condition, but its really a personal decision and price plays a big role. What is asking price?

BTW- yes bezel looks like a later replacement.

11. wsfarrell Sep 7, 2015

Given 2 cracks in the bezel, case dings and case opener gouge, hour hand holes, rotor wear on inside of caseback (though not on rotor, which may have been replaced), I would pass on this one. Certainly wouldn't pay more than $3k for it, though the market is crazy now and I bet the owner wants more.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2015

Take a closer look plenty of wear on the rotor...I can see it even without enlarging the photos, so that will definitely need to be repaired. I would expect it will need a service anyway, so that should be factored into the price.

Cheers, Al

Willem023 likes this.
  13. virro Sep 7, 2015

It is supposed to have been recently serviced. Seller wants 3.8K $ for it...

14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 7, 2015

Thats the problem, no one should be forced to buy anything, I would suggest you have patience and wait for a better example.
    But why don't you tell us the asking price...we can't really offer any more advice without out that critical info.
    EDIT- beat me to it...3.8k is over $1000 too much

virro likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2015

Unless they provide proof that it was done recently in the form of an invoice from a reputable repairer, you should count on getting a service done.

CajunTiger and virro like this.
  16. virro Sep 7, 2015

I feel forced, I love this model ;) But I guess patience is virtue even in this case... Thank you for your knowledge! 1k to much sounds like something I can do without ;)

CajunTiger likes this.
  17. Tempusfugitus Sep 7, 2015

17 jewel 550 movement "US" spec. I wonder what sort of shape the automatic mechanism is in.

18. virro Sep 7, 2015

19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 7, 2015

do you mean good riddance?
    you are better off waiting for a nice example.

virro likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2015

I service more 24 jewel versions than the 17 jewel, but still quite a number of 17 jewel versions have crossed my bench. Of course the bushings are a concern, and I've certainly had to change them on some watches, but not as many as you might think.

If they do require changing its really not a big thing in time or part costs.

Cheers, Al