Forums Latest Members
  1. GSA77 Sep 13, 2018

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 13, 2018

What are your observations?

Davidt and cvrle1 like this.
  3. GSA77 Sep 13, 2018

Following the "Moonwatch Only" book it all looks legit to me, meaning serial no., dial, and hands are period correct.
    Not sure though whether or not the dial has been washed ?!?

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 13, 2018

hands
    Lume
    Bracelet
    Bezel

There is good and bad here. Examine those.

Especially the bracelet needs investigation.

Check the reference on it. Could be very interesting

GSA77 and cvrle1 like this.
  5. GSA77 Sep 14, 2018

Thanks for the feedback - the bracelet would not be part of the deal, so I’m not overly concerned about that.

I suppose hands and bezel are good, lume and bracelet are not that great. Am I correct?

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 14, 2018

Further hint : watches from the 60’s will usually have every other color of lume BUT white ... in the hands and on the dial, so there are two possibilities here ... what are they?

GSA77 and mr_yossarian like this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 14, 2018

I think Mr Fruit may be alluding to the fact it looks like an AS bracelet unless I am mistaken. They were used on other 70s Omegas too though. This is not good from an originality perspective but pretty good in value terms, but irrelevant if not included I guess. Hands look like modern SL to me, dial lume looks gone altogether.

Edited Sep 14, 2018
    GSA77 and mr_yossarian like this.
  8. GSA77 Sep 14, 2018

Washed or service dial.... as the markings appear to be period correct the dial appears to have been washed.....

Is my assumption correct?

Last but not least the question of all questions - buy or no buy ?

Thanks

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 14, 2018

looks to me like a super-luminova-relumed dial (i.e. by omega). Also, the hour hand looks wrong (the point is too short).

That is highly subjective...I can't tell you what to do ;)

GSA77 likes this.
  10. Davidt Sep 14, 2018

There are a couple of issues with the hands and dial which affect the value and the desirability differently depending on your taste.

No one can/should tell you whether you should buy this watch - its down to you.

It seems that your far from sure and perhaps need to do more research to increase your confidence before committing to such a purchase?

GSA77 likes this.
  11. GSA77 Sep 14, 2018

Appreciate the input gentlemen !

Coming from the world of vintage Rolex I fully understand the desire for 100% original and period correct features on a watch.

As I was originally looking for an honest 145.012, which could be a worn as a daily wearer, this one ticked quite a few boxes.

Thanks to you I’m now being aware of the “issues” with this one, however I’m still interested in proceeding.

Bearing the above in mind what would be a fair price for this watch in your opinion?

Thank you - and yes I’m keen to learn :)

12. djmusicman Sep 14, 2018

So the original buyer kept the bracelet and is now selling it on. Personally I'd have kept the DON.

Etp095 likes this.
  13. Maganator Sep 14, 2018

For me the desirability of vintage watches is that they do not look brand new. This has zero charm as a vintage watch.

You would be as well buying a modern Speedmaster and having a service dial with applied logo fitted - that would likely come in at less than half the price.

paulw likes this.
  14. stefman Sep 14, 2018

That’s what I did so I could enjoy it on a daily basis without any worries.

But he’d be loosing out on a cool 321 movement powering his Speedy.

15. bgrisso Sep 14, 2018

Meh. You are not going to get much love for that watch around here, it doesn't look vintage. As others have said, you can get something new for much cheaper, or get something that looks vintage for a bit more, I wouldn't spend the $$ on this unless it's really cheap and/or priced under the total value of the parts. If it was really cheap I guess you could get it relumed for a better look. Here's my 145-012...

P1010085.JPG