Forums Latest Members
  1. Igora Jan 24, 2017

Hi, I am considering to buy this Omega 321, what do you think? Seller said it wasnt polished, dial and hands are wrong and needs to be replaced.
    What would be fair price?
    It was serviced in 2016!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Just Livin Jan 24, 2017

Crown looks incorrect for 105.012. I believe you should have a narrow flat foot crown.
    At this stage I would be wanting to see a pic of the movement, and details of the serial number.
    Do you have that to share?

3. Just Livin Jan 24, 2017

I would also beg to differ with the seller on the point of the case not being polished.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  4. Igora Jan 24, 2017

Mov number is 2202xxx and it looks verry clean!

oddboy likes this.
  5. Igora Jan 24, 2017

[​IMG]

6. Just Livin Jan 24, 2017

http://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/
    Take a look here. If you are not familiar with this site I would encourage you to take a look before buying.
    Also has a rather excellent, updated, price chart.

7. Igora Jan 24, 2017

I saw this chart, and I would estimate this watch in "running" category?
    So dial, crown, hands are wrong on this one? Anything else I need to be aware?

8. tempusfugit861 Jan 24, 2017

I don't think that strap is correct. Let me grab my book. Nope, just as I suspected, it's the wrong strap, I think the gasket for the case back is also not original. Check to see if the omega symbol on the crystal is right side up.

Teasing. You or any other newcomer to this market should do enough reading and research to familiarize yourself with the item and its value range. It's not easy, given prices are moving up quickly, and there are many variables to consider. Once you've done your due diligence, if you like the watch, buy it. It won't go down in value. And most importantly, enjoy it.

And I fear some here read the MWO book a bit too literally. The truth is, Omega often can't say with certainty that parts didn't carry over from one ref to another or that new batches weren't different. They had no reason to care if the exact parts were used on each 105.012-65. It made no difference whatsoever to them. They were making money. The watches were not built as collectibles. This is even more true as you go further back in time toward the 2915, where everyone is left to speculate. If the books says your watch should have an a2 dial but has an a1 and is off by one year....cmon.

Edited Jan 24, 2017
  9. Davidt Jan 24, 2017

The hands are incorrect, but they look like they've been on for a while so I don't mind them so much. Crown is replaced but this is often the case and not a deal breaker at all. I consider an original crown more of a bonus, rather than an incorrect crown a big negative as they were frequently changed at service.

The case may have had a light going over, but it's not overpolished and retains the thin side profile.

The dial looks correct but it's hard to get a good idea of its condition from your pic. Bezel is also reasonable.

I would think a wide spaced T dial would have a slightly later serial, but it could be ok.

If you can satisfy yourself that the serial is ok, I'd put the watch as a whole in-between running and good.

10. Just Livin Jan 24, 2017

Dial looks incorrect to me. Short markers on the pics above.

oddboy and Davidt like this.
  11. MaiLollo Jan 24, 2017

I'd say it looks great, difficult to tell if it has been polished but I would be surprised to find a 52 year-old watch with such a perfect case. Having said that, finding a good set of hands that will match the lume will not be that hard and expensive, so I would go for it (depending on the price obviously & better pictures of the dial)

12. Igora Jan 24, 2017

Dial is from 80s and omega logo is glued above painted logo. And dial is not steped dial. So if I buy it this is what I will first look for!
    Maybe someone know where to find correct dial ?

abrod520 likes this.
  13. Just Livin Jan 24, 2017

There is plenty here that makes me walk away. The applied (glued logo) had me scratching my head as to being on that dial?

I would honestly look elsewhere. The dial is a no go. To find a correct one is expensive and hard at best.

Plenty of red flags here.

14. corn18 Jan 24, 2017

I'd pay $2k for it, maybe $3k but I wouldn't like having a franken Speedy. Hands, dial, crown, so much not right with this watch.

15. Just Livin Jan 24, 2017

If you can get it for this price then great. The bezel has the most value. Has the seller mentioned what he was looking for?

16. Igora Jan 24, 2017

He is looking for 5k.

17. jimmyd13 Jan 24, 2017

There probably is that much value there in parts ... but they don't all belong together. Frankly, you're never going to find a good dial to put in there without buying another complete watch ... and what that will cost you down the line is anyone's guess.

Then again, the way DON bezels are going, you might well get a profit parting it out.

18. Davidt Jan 24, 2017

Good shout, I didn't notice the service dial.

Looks like one of the applied logo, short marker service dials from the 70's, but will need a better pic to be sure. Either way, the service dial makes a significant difference to the value.

5k what? pounds, dollars, oranges?

tempusfugit861 and oddboy like this.
  19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 24, 2017

I agree with comments about the dial. Looks like short indices and I'd want long on a 321. It's one of the defining features. Could be worth about 4k for parts, but it wouldn't satisfy me for wearing.

For reference, http://speedmaster101.com/blog/calibre-321-service-dials/

Also, the length of the markers in the minute recorder seem long for a 321 service dial. Something is awry.

Edited Jan 24, 2017
    tempusfugit861 likes this.
  20. MaiLollo Jan 24, 2017

My bad, I didn't notice the service dial. If you are not a guy in the industry that can get a hold of parts "easily" then I would stay out of it unless the price is great, but this doesn't look like it... Had the dial been original I would have gone for it at 5k, chrono seconds hand/crown are no big deals.

tempusfugit861 and oddboy like this.