Forums Latest Members

Advice on Speedmaster model to buy

1. emielke Dec 11, 2014

Hi All,

I am a first time Omega buyer. I am looking at four models. I am leaning towards the original moon watch however, I am also considering others for date and automatic winding functionality. Anyone have these models, and what are your opinions of them?

3570.50 Classic Moonwatch

323.30.40.40.06.001 Date 40 mm
    323.30.40.png

3220.50.00 Day Date 40 mm
    32205000.jpg

3523.80 Day Date 39 mm
    3523.80.jpg

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 11, 2014

Buy the one you like....;)

3. panamavin Dec 11, 2014

If it's your first speedy go with the original and add the other flavors later. It's a classic design that never goes out of style. To me the day/date features clutter a perfect dial. Just my .02!

dougiedude likes this.
  4. emielke Dec 11, 2014

Thanks, I really do like the moon watch. Seems like a tried and true design.

The 3570.50 is even antimagnetic, right?

Edited Dec 11, 2014
  5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 11, 2014

3570.50 is not anti magnetic it has a cover on the movement to reduce the chance of magnetism but itself no

6. Alex_TA Dec 11, 2014

Go classics.

7. DJP Dec 11, 2014

You don't mention why you are leaning towards the Moonwatch? I was in a similar position and liked the look of a couple of the recent racing editions. Having thought about it, wanting something timeless and having asked pretty much the same question as you, I elected for the 3570.50.

I am so pleased I did, it is the classic Speedy, the history is great and the dial just a delight. The fact it's manual and has the hesalite crystal rather than the sapphire just adds to the pleasure of owning.

However, if you want the other complications then it's the wrong watch. If they are secondary then IMO its a no brainer.

IMG_1231.JPG

dougiedude, emielke and TLIGuy like this.
  8. repoman Dec 11, 2014

Start with the Speedy pro, you won't regret it. Some of the others can come later if you still want them. I don't think auto vs manual wind will end up being a factor in your enjoyment, you wind it up each morning just like you buckle the bracelet, without thinking. The date you may pine for, in which case, you have a perfectly good excuse to chase the next watch purchase!

Taddyangle likes this.
  9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 11, 2014

I agree with John/repoman.

I own two speedy pros and the reality is the speedy pro is the best value for quality, heritage, coolness etc when it comes to mid luxury watches (not sure the category). And frankly is a must own watch if you are planning on spending any time at all on this board. I only say this because once you start spending more time on this board and you start seeing all the pics of speedy pros that members post you will want to buy one, then two, then three, etc.

I would be worried that if I owned a speedy auto and then went to a pro the auto would never get wrist time. And now that I own two pros, I could never see myself buying an auto (despite my desire for a date).

repoman likes this.
  10. emielke Dec 11, 2014

Thanks for all the help. I think I have made the decision to go with the Speedmaster Pro 3570.50. I like it most for its heritage and elegant design.

Maybe later I will get one of the anniversary or sapphire sandwich edition.

repoman and Taddyangle like this.
  11. emielke Dec 11, 2014

Hopefully I won't get carried away, and next thing you know I post something like this

Its funny that I found a picture of someone wearing three of the watches I was considering all at once.

manywatches.jpg

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 11, 2014

Good choice!!

IMG_0670.JPG
  13. jud Dec 11, 2014

I started by purchasing two Speedmaster dates and regret it. I figured I needed a date on my watch and I wanted an automatic because I didn't want to wind my watch all the time. Fast forward three years and I wish I had purchased the classic Speedmaster moon. Ironically I now start most days setting the time and date then winding my watch because I wear them in rotation and don't use my watch winder.

I don't have a lot of watches and would prefer to own a few iconic watches than a number of random watches. To each their own, but my vote is start with the classic. I wish I had taken my own advice.

repoman, DJP and TLIGuy like this.
  14. datniche27 Dec 13, 2014

Definitely 3570.50

15. alam Dec 13, 2014

Ugh? any other models besides the real moon watch out there? :)

[​IMG]

16. DJP Dec 13, 2014

Nope, not for the first Omega Speedy purchase IMO

17. emielke Dec 13, 2014

I looked at the 3570.50 at an omega boutique . I was about to purchase but I couldn't get any sort of discount. that plus the sales tax was a deal breaker . Does anyone have a recommended ADs ?

18. jud Dec 13, 2014

Try Kringkily in the sales section. Just shoot him a message. You'll get all the bits and depending on the watch you buy even a warranty.

19. Hijak Dec 16, 2014

I'll add my two cents about the black dialed day-date...I recently sold one of these. I liked the watch a lot but found it difficult to read in lower light conditions. The busier black dial with silver hands was not the best combination. However if I had the blue dialed version I'd probably still have it. Hope this was somewhat helpful.

20. repoman Dec 16, 2014

Ditto the recommendation for @Kringkily. He is the most highly respected seller on these forums, and he can get you a mint condition Speedy Pro at a completely different price point than a boutique, and you will be 100% completely satisfied.