Forums Latest Members
  1. philnz Aug 4, 2015

Hello,
    Brand new here and wondering if someone could help me with selecting a watch. My grand uncle passed away and we found his yellow gold Seamaster XVI which looks just like this:
    [​IMG]

I adore everything about it and I'm wondering if there's a near identical looking Omega out there. I remember looking up the XVI some years ago and vaguely recall that Omega re-launched a very similar design to commemorate the 2008 Beijing olympic games (+52 years) called the Seamaster XXIX:
    [​IMG]

Quantities however were restricted to just 88 (8 is lucky in China) for each day of the games. I personally feel the XVI is still more elegant.

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to recommend similar styled Omega models, yellow gold, roman numerals, simple design, etc please? I'm in the market for my first Omega :)
    Many thanks.

2. Willem023 Aug 4, 2015

There are hundreds of designs of Omega around. Best is to look on the i-net for developing your 'reference': what age, what do you really consider 'nice' on the 'simple' design (define 'simple'?), etc., etcetera.
    Best read and learn and read and learn all you can for the next few years. And read and learn from this forum too: even the most experienced guys still have the odd learning curve ... ::book::::book::

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 4, 2015

You asked for advice so here it is - take your time. We now live in a very instant age where I want it and I want it now but buying a great vintage watch will take time. Do your research, hang around here, keep looking and learning and you will find the right watch. There are guys here who have been searching for their personal grail watch for years.
    You can even get yourself the exact same model seamaster XVI that your uncle owned, it may take a couple of years of searching for a good one but they do pop up from time to time. I believe one of our members owns several.

blubarb and philnz like this.
  4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 4, 2015

Oh, I forgot to mention, ask here before you buy, we have seen a lot of lemons sold to unsuspecting noobs

philnz likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

Great to see someone's uncle leave them a watch that's both real and quite special for a change. That Beijing version is probably as close as possible to your uncles watch but you might want to look at something that compliments it with a bit of difference, there was also a really nice vintage styled London 2012 Seamaster LE in Steel that would be a great companion to it.

philnz likes this.
  6. philnz Aug 4, 2015

Thank you for the responses guys. I appreciate your help. I guess I'll take my time as suggested and see what I like. Are there any "what's your favourite omega?" type threads / resources? This might help to narrow down the options!

In terms of places to buy, I see many members are quoting eBay listing a so presumably this is a good source - reputation permitting of course. I'm living in Hong Kong so I'm wondering if Might there be any other local sources that oft be worth a look? I got turned on to the Omegas again after seeing an antique watch store just outside where I live. As with anything in Asia, items, and I suspect, vintage watches in particular are prone to counterfeit.

Here's a snap of two from the front window for what it's worth. Are they real?

image.jpg
    Edited Aug 4, 2015
  7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

Both are real, the one on the right looks like its hands were replaced.

philnz likes this.
  9. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 5, 2015

You live in Tin Hau? They look like something Mr Kuok (I think his name is) would sell. We have some great places for vintage Rolex but Omega are less common

10. philnz Aug 5, 2015

Hi Shaun. Actually this shop is in Causeway Bay called "Ching Kouk Watch Service". He said it's the only branch but by the sounds of it there might be another.. I took some more photos:

watch6.jpg watch5.jpg watch4.jpg watch3.jpg watch2.jpg watch1.jpg

11. blubarb Aug 5, 2015

I've always had a warm spot for the 60s Omega Seamaster DeVille. Something very elegant about it. Looks stunning in gold!

image.jpg

Edited Aug 5, 2015
    philnz likes this.
  12. philnz Aug 5, 2015

Very nice. I agree. Simple and elegant works best for me.

13. blubarb Aug 5, 2015

And well priced. Watches like these seem lost in a world of much watch noise. My collection will always have one - or two or even three... ;)

14. philnz Aug 5, 2015

What a beaut and $615 apparently. Is that fair value?

[​IMG]

15. blubarb Aug 5, 2015

In Australia I used to see them a couple of years ago find the, around AUD600-800, but I haven't kept up to date of late. Perhaps a Seamaster expert could chime in here?

Edited Aug 5, 2015
  16. philnz Aug 5, 2015

This one's gorgeous too - 14707 61 listed on chrono24 for $2,250:

[​IMG]

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2015

That's pretty mediocre for the money, you could do dramatically better

philnz likes this.