Forums Latest Members
  1. INKY.PENDRAGON Mar 12, 2018

Looking to finally get a nice vintage Seamaster but need a little guidance. Here's one I'm considering. I can tell the back has been over polished but the movement looks right . The dial, not sure. Thanks for the help!

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg
  2. Lucasssssss Mar 12, 2018

This particular watch is from the American market as you can tell by the OXO import mark on the movement and the Ross case. Ross made cases for several Swiss companies including Omega. The system of importing dials/hands/movements to be installed into US made cases to avoid the taxes on precious metals. Ross was located in Long Island, NY.

The caseback looks fine to me, it is the kind of polishing from wearing the watch and gold being a soft metal.
    The crown is not original, and the 7 o'clock lug looks a little bent on the pictures, this should be clarified with the seller. There is also a notch in the case where the crystal has been taken off repeatedly, but the hesilite crystal itself is Omega. The dial and hands look clean to my eye and it is generally a good watch for the right price.

Many people who start off seem to gravitate towards SMDV's for some reason. There are many automatic three handers out there made by Omega, so don't overpay for this watch. I see some of these going for the price of dome dial Constilations which is a significantly superior watch. I would also highly recommend looking at the private watch sales here on OmegaForums.

3. INKY.PENDRAGON Mar 12, 2018

Thank you!