Forums Latest Members
  1. maddesa Jul 30, 2015

IMG_1578.jpg Looking into possibly purchasing this watch. The asking price is $350. Please advise. Thanks.
    Mike

IMG_1578.jpg IMG_1578.jpg IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1596.jpg
  2. maddesa Jul 30, 2015

Sorry about the extra photos.

3. Traveler Jul 30, 2015

Nobody here will ever complain about extra photos ... I like the watch, but know nothing about them

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 6, 2015

I have the (rarer) auto version of it ... I understand there were only 27.000 autos made from 88-93 worldwide ... and quite oddly its my favorite watch of all (and I do have quite some "higher end" ones.

It has the perfect size for me 38mm... yours seem to be fullsize (41mm?) and I find it to be the quintessential semiformal diver ... you can use it from bathing trunks all the way up to a suit.

here's a pic

[​IMG]

so my take: have go at it, I find it to be a rare "instant classic" and you dont bump into people wearing the same watch all the time

cheers, Al

5. danomar Aug 7, 2015

You possible one has the quartz movement. It is very nice, but not quite a collectible as the automatic winding version. My recollection is that there are two case sizes, and the one you show is the smaller. The larger one, if I am correct, has a slight space between the date window and the lume marker... Or maybe yours is the larger one. Sorry, I am not being helpful, am I? I have nearly bought one of those on several occasions but prices are too high for me. $350 is a good price. If you like it and it works, get it!

6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 7, 2015

I think the OP ones is the larger one, whereas the one in my post is def. the midsize (check the dial-layout, especially the date-window).

IIRC - and I am no quartz buff - there were 2 different quartz movements used and one (that was used earlier and for just a short time) was thermocompensated and is more desirable than the other ... the one posted by the OP is quartz (3liner vs. 4liner which is automatic)

the model shown in the OP is also the 2nd generation, with a different crown and double-opening clasp as well as sword hands - as opposed to mercedes hands on my 1st gen, with serrated crown and single foldback clasp (all differences clearly to be identified from the 2 photos) - also the 1st gen has a different caseback with a ring around the caseback - so the caseback just pops in and is then held in place by and "outside threaded" ring

again, at 350 I'd probably pick it up - def. not really collectible - but nice to have around and my favourite diver's look (but thats subjective, of course)

Edited Aug 7, 2015