Forums Latest Members
  1. Hotwheelbill Sep 11, 2014

A few months ago, I found a local watchmaker that I have used for six watches. I also took a 14k Jonell case with a 500 caliber in for a service and crystal. I got a call yesterday that he had scratched the dial. He sounded as sick about it as I was as this dial was PERFECT. I go to take a look at it today. He ask if I wanted him to send it off to have the dial redone. I would rather find a replacement dial, but not sure how hard that would be. I will post a pic of the now scratched dial later today, but this is the watch as it was......see pic.
    So, what would be the best way to proceed with this? The watchmaker is retiring this month after 31 years. He has a brother as a partner in the company name, but is in Atlanta, GA. I am in North Florida. Cost of who will pay what will be worked out between he and I later, but I just want to get the watch back to original or as close to it as I can.

1958 omega seamaster Jonell.jpg
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 11, 2014

That sucks! IMO finding a dial in that pristine condition is a very long shot.

Would be easier to find a new watch.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 11, 2014

Not good news to get, or give (even when it's not your fault and something goes wrong, it's not fun to give the bad news, trust me). We are all human, and mistakes happen, but an effort should be made on the part of the watchmaker to correct this at his expense - both money and time.

Cheers, Al

4. Hotwheelbill Sep 11, 2014

Thanks Al. I will be working with him to work that out.
    About the dial, he has someone that they use for rolex dials. Am I thinking right that maybe I should let him redial the already scratched dial and keep an eye out for replacement?

5. Hijak Sep 11, 2014

How bad is this scratch?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 11, 2014

Ouch.

What you do with the current dial depends on how badly the dial has been damaged.

It may be better to live with the current dial until a suitable replacement can be found. Its only original once and to some a damaged original is better than a refinished one.

Hexicon and Hijak like this.
  7. Hotwheelbill Sep 11, 2014

I hope to get off work early to go take a look. He is on the other side of town. Pics later.

8. Wongo Sep 11, 2014

Really hate to get a call like that. Hope you can find a replacement sooner then later.

9. Hotwheelbill Sep 18, 2014

back from service today and they also included an original Omega glass crystal. Now I can see the scratch better lol. 20140918_163726.jpg

10. Hijak Sep 18, 2014

That's a big scratch and it looks deep too. Sorry for your loss:(...what did you work out with the watchmaker?

11. Hotwheelbill Sep 18, 2014

No charge for service, no charge for crystal. No charge for glass crystal up grade on two others (in old new stock). And an in on a Consellation C case with new service and new Omega deploment strap for $225.
    ......Im good...!

12. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 18, 2014

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction. Hopefully another dial will come your way.

13. Wongo Sep 18, 2014

Feels like he tried his best to compensate you with the extras, but the search for the new dial...

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 18, 2014

It would be difficult to find a dial that nice by itself. You might be able to find a non-runner, but these movements are pretty good. They are rarely found broken with dials you would even consider.

My gut tells me to leave the dial alone and treat this as a battle scar.
    gatorcpa

15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 13, 2014

Ugh. I feel bad for both you AND the watchmaker. Bummer of a way to go out after 31 years of watchmaking.

I think I will PM you, as I am looking for an Atlanta watchmaker for my 3 new Omegas! Hopefully, the brother does some quality work...:unsure:

16. Hotwheelbill Oct 14, 2014

PMed back.