Forums Latest Members

Advice on restoring this very old (1903?) Omega wristwatch.

1. carlboutet Jul 29, 2018

Recently discovered this very old coussin wrist watch. In another thread, it was suggested that it could date back to 1903.. making it among the very early Omega's. I'm really intrigued by it as it does not have the common symbol found above the logo. Dial seems to be enamel. Any suggestions on how to go about treating this watch, should it be "restored", if so how best to go about it, etc would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20180725_112433.jpg IMG_20180725_112313.jpg IMG_20180725_105418.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 29, 2018

I would suggest that you read this thread regarding the very early Omega wristwatches.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/early-omega-wristwatch.33026/

The 1906 ad shows only round cases watches.

In your example, case and the movement are not Omega signed. My guess is that the dial is Omega, but the whole package doesn't have the look of a early Omega wristwatch. Could be a ladies pocketwatch that was recased.
    gatorcpa

3. mac_omega Jul 30, 2018

IMO you will have to pull off the dial to see if the movement is signed below - early movements sometimes lack the Omega inscription on the "visible side" but are signed on the dial side.

In case it was signed you would know at least that movement+dial came from Omega and the case was contracted (which was not uncommon).

carlboutet and gatorcpa like this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 30, 2018

While I agree with your assertion that the movement could be signed under the dial, I don’t think the movement was put into that case until the 1920’s at the earliest. That’s the time that spring bars were invented.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...y-boring-story-of-who-invented-the-spring-bar

So there is likely a 20 year gap between the ages of the case and the movement.
    gatorcpa

carlboutet likes this.