Forums Latest Members
  1. sidewaysil80 Sep 9, 2015

Good evening folks,

My name is Tim and I am obviously new to these forums as well as watches in general. My late grandfather worked for the Wilkata Box Company (Kearny, NJ) for 43 years. He spent 26 years in one particular department and when he was promoted they gave him an engraved Omega as a parting gift. I recently came into possession of this watch and would like to restore it and add it to my modest, but growing collection.

I was hoping to find out what year it was made or other specifics pertaining to it. I also was hoping to find out what type of band or bracelet it originally came with or at least what the options for this period/model. Lastly, I was hoping for some recommendations on a shop that can restore it to its former glory. I am very hesitant to just bring it to the first place that pops up on google as I want to maintain the engraving and character marks that the watch currently has. It keeps time although when I shake it, it sounds like stuff is loose on the inside and it is only capable of moving counterclockwise when setting it.

Sorry for the long read and I genuinely appreciate any and all input. I would like to restore this as period correct/original as possible.

Thanks!
    Tim image.jpeg image[1].jpeg image[2].jpeg IMG_2272.JPG

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 9, 2015

Most 14k watches in that era seemed to have come with black alligator straps, for example the strap at the top of this page: http://www.ofrei.com/page749.html

You'll want to take that bracelet off right away; those are notorious for carving grooves into the lugs.

A little hand-polishing by you with a rouge cloth will help it look less scratched up without removing any gold.

You'll also want to get a full service by a watchmaker recommended by someone who lives near you (where you at?).

Tom

3. sidewaysil80 Sep 9, 2015

Great! Thanks, that is exactly the info I was hoping for. I am located in the Northern Virginia/DC area. With that being said, I don't mind sending it off if there is a watchmaker located elsewhere that specializes in vintage Omegas. Also, I already took the bracelet off but it may have been too late; it was on there for 40+ years lol. Thanks very much Tom, I appreciate your help thus far!

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 9, 2015

Looks like it's in nice condition, and having your grandfather's watch is a special thing in and of itself.

A movement service (might need some parts) and perhaps a new OEM crystal and it should be good to go. I would probably leave the case & dial alone, but that is a matter of personal preference. Any polishing does in fact remove some metal, that is required to remove scratches.

A shop I can recommend is Paul's Watch and Clock repair in Sacramento. I have used them many times with excellent results.

5. sidewaysil80 Sep 10, 2015

Thanks for the recommendation! I will be ordering the band/buckle from Ofrei this weekend and hopefully will have narrowed down who to sent it to for repair. Right now it's between Nesbit's, Govberg, and Paul's.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 10, 2015

Before you make that order, check out the catalogs at old-omegas.com and see if something you find there might change your mind.

Tom