Forums Latest Members
  1. AnnP Sep 17, 2015

I would be grateful for advice on how to proceed with a watch repair.

My father bought this watch in the 1960's (not sure of the year, but assume 1969, from the case #.

The SN is 28424545
    Case is 145022 69

It is missing a bezel. I sent the watch to Omega and they have told me that the bezel they can get will not fit the watch, and so I need to buy a new watch case and a new bezel.

This feels like it is sort of getting rid of the watch, which is mostly valuable because it was Dad's.

What would experts advise on this?

invoice.JPG
  2. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Sep 17, 2015

I think the consensus will be to get it back from Omega asap and find an independent watchmaker to do a sympathetic restoration.

Dunebug, IRCM and RawArcher like this.
  3. marturx Sep 17, 2015

Don't let them ruin your fathers watch, for heavens sake!

There are plenty of vintage bezels to be found outside Omega. Ebay for one.

On another note, I don't think you spelled out the serial of the watch correctly. Seems to early for the reference. I may be wrong, other can verify or correct me here.

Order it back from Omega. Find a bezel (not difficult). Find a independent watchmaker where you are that can sympathetically service and restore the watch for you

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. AnnP Sep 17, 2015

here is a photo of the watch if this helps

speedmaster.JPG
  5. marturx Sep 17, 2015

Lovely! Will renovate very nice if treated by the right watchmaker

The value of it right there, I should say is appr $3000-3500

If you pay Omega $1100 to ruin the watch, the value would be cut in half

6. Davidt Sep 17, 2015

If that's Omegas advice, 100% get it back without any work and we can help you sort it properly. A correct vintage bezel and a good clean and service and that will be a beautiful watch.

What country are you in?

IRCM likes this.
  7. IRCM Sep 17, 2015

Hi. I am going through a similar process right now. I have my father's 1953 Omega and it needs some attention. I didn't take it to Omega, as even their website states a starting price of more US$900 for servicing a watch of that age.
    A forum member on here put me in touch with a watchmaker in my State and he is now working on it. Some genuine Omega parts will be used, together with a generic crystal. The estimate he gave me ( so far) is so much lower, and that includes fitting a new strap!
    Find a good independent watchmaker and keep the watch as your father wore it.
    Good luck.

TexOmega and Darlinboy like this.
  8. novina Sep 17, 2015

If you have read other threads here that reference Omega service, you should know that they wish to give it back to the client in as new condition. They do not in any manner wish to adhere to the vintage characteristics on present. You would get a shiny new watch back from them, but it would no longer be the watch your dad had. Very good advise here and very helpful people. Listen to them.

9. AnnP Sep 18, 2015

Hi, I really appreciate the help here, I was feeling a lot of pressure from the local jewler and frankly don't understand why Omega can't help me replace the bezel - and not throw away the body of the watch.

So, how to I avoid getting bad service and find someone who will replace the parts that are missing and not return a non vintage watch to me? Again, reading this is very helpful and it is true that to me, the wear on the watch has long associations of my dad (who was a fighter pilot in wwii) - but the watch just doesn't look right to me without a bezel so I would like it back on the watch. I didn't really want to become an "omega" expert, but it is nice that Omega experts have put some much for me to read - especially the "speedmaster101" guy ... wow.

So, step one, get watch back from Omega. Check. What is step two?

How do I avoid getting more of this bad service? If you can't trust Omega ... who can I trust?

Thanks,

Ann

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 18, 2015

I believe step 2 is to perhaps obtain the correct bezel. According to your watch's serial number of 2842xxxx, this is a Dot Over Ninety (DON) type bezel. Your 145.022-69 Speedie was actually the last reference to have this type of bezel. Go to speedmaster101.com and you can read more about the 145.022-69 and the DON bezel.

The good news is these are available on eBay and from other sellers. Bad news is they are rising in price.

Here is one on eBay although this is priced high, IMHO.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281799778049&globalID=EBAY-USPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Step 3 will be to get the bezel installed and watch serviced by a watchmaker who respects the great vintage watch that this is.

11. Davidt Sep 18, 2015

There are members here all over the world. If you let us know where you are, I'm sure someone with local knowledge can recommend a good watchmaker, who's well versed in servicing vintage watches.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2015

Hi Ann,

They have told you why here:

It's a known issue with this reference, and unless you have a case made by 2 specific case suppliers Omega used at the time (identified by the markings inside the case back) the current replacement bezels Omega produces will not fit the case. The same goes for replacement case backs actually.

This is the reason they are selling you a new case for only $250, which is a fraction of the normal price. Omega has chosen to sell you a new case for a small amount rather than produce a tiny number of specific parts required to replace missing bezels and case backs on this specific reference. Just another business decision made to maximize shareholder value - less money spent doing it this way than producing those specific parts, and quite frankly most people who send their watches in would not care about this, and may even see it as a bonus.

As others have suggested, Omega is not your only choice for service, and bezels can be had that will fit this case on the market.

Cheers, Al

13. AnnP Sep 18, 2015

Ok, I think I understand, but I'm also confused - my watch does not have the "metal logo" - it is the "painted logo"

How do you know if it is "calibre 321" or "calibre 861"?

So this watch is one that has a "dot over 90" bezel with a painted logo? Whereas most of the Calibre 861 145022 watches have the "dot next to 90" bezel.

Have I got this right?

I also was asked for my location: outside Detroit.

I have to say that buying a used $970 bezel - especially if there is some chance it won't fit, feels risky.

I guess by posting on here that I need a dot over 90 bezel I have just raised the spot market price for used dot over ninety bezels?

Thanks for the advice guys! Ann

14. Davidt Sep 18, 2015

Hi Ann

For a '69, the painted logo is correct, as is the 'dot over 90' bezel. Your watch also has the 861 caliber.

I'm in the UK so can't help with sugesting a watchmaker but I'm sure someone will. Aesthetically, the DoN and DNN bezels looks similar, it's only really collectors who get their knickers in a twist about it. Once someone suggests a watchmaker, why not send it to them to get an idea what they think is needed. It will certainly be cheaper than Omega.

15. AnnP Sep 18, 2015

I'm definitely not going to care about the dot over 90 or dot next to 90 - but what isn't clear is how I know that a used bezel will fit?

It seems that on this page:

http://speedmaster101.com/145-022-69/

both bezels are shown on this model watch - what is it that I need to know to know if a bezel will fit? The location of the dot, or something else?

Thanks! Ann

16. Davidt Sep 18, 2015

I wouldn't worry about that. Get it to a watchmaker in the US and get their opinion. They'll be able to tell you if a 60's bezel is definitiely needed to fit that mid-case. If a vintage bezel is needed, you've then got the choice of replacing the mid-case and getting a new bezel, or sourcing a correct 60's bezel. If you need a vintage bezel, I'm sure either your new watchmaker or guys on this forum can help.

17. watchlovr Sep 18, 2015

Also you need to know the bezel is the silver metal part which fits to the case, it holds the black painted aluminium insert.
    The insert is the dot over or next to 90 item under discussion.
    A vintage bezel will be pretty easy to find as will a dot next to insert, perhaps separately.

18. TexOmega Sep 18, 2015

I'll say it...............send it to ARCHER, across the border, then relax and let him do his thing and wait for its' return.