Forums Latest Members
  1. mumsomega Mar 3, 2017

Hi there.
    Looking for help with my mother's Omega. Only item I have that she owned and I want to get it reconditioned and passed on to a niece that was close to her.
    Had been in a box for many years, took it out and wound it up and kept very good time.
    I sent it to Govberg Watch Repair who said they could not service and sent it to Omega Service center.
    In summary they proposed the following:
    Complete maintenance service, replace all worn etc: $575.00
    Dial refurbishment: $250.00
    New Hands: Included
    Omega Alligator Brown Shine Strap with 8mm buckle gold plated: $330.00
    Total: $1155
    Yikes!
    Watch would have a warranty less "slight corrosion to case".
    So my questions:
    1. Is this just what it costs to restore these types of watches and if you want it done right then fork over the $?
    2. Estimate on age of the watch? None of my much older siblings can ever remember Mum not having it.
    3. Other options?
    I am prepared to bite the bullet and do it, and just not eat for a month or two :).
    I know nothing about watches and while a newby who cannot add any value to your forum would ask for help.
    Vince
    Virginia, USA

Mums Omega 1.jpg Mums Omega 2.jpg
  2. ChrisN Mar 3, 2017

Yikes indeed! What a nice thought though.

Omega will bring it back as close to new as possible but with a refurbished dial (can't see yours very well in the picture) and new hands, it will not be the same as your mother wore it later in her life.

You could halve that offer if you decline the dial and strap but, that may not be possible with Omega. They tend to fit new hands anyway but unless yours are damaged or loose (even then there are possibilities) it should be possible to retain them.

If you want to retain the existing look, I would look for an independent Watchmaker to work on it and get them to fit a nice Hirsch (for example) strap as well. You should be half of the amount you've been quoted and possibly significantly less. I'm sure someone here will be able to recommend someone local to you if you give us an area. I don't think all Watchmakers like to work on a ladies calibre but this is just a manual cal 620 so not a major task.

Looks like a 60s watch to me and a nice style.

Good luck.

Cheers, Chris

3. DON Mar 3, 2017

It's a 60's model.

Those are Omega prices. Pretty much in line with many manufactures who do their own service

I really don't like to quote repair costs as each watch maker is different. and they charge a mark up if dials are sent out to be restored or they buy hands to replace bad ones. They all add a sub charge to their cost

At best. Maybe a shade under $400

Clean, dial refinishing (if average and you want new factory look), hands if aged (needed if dial restored). Crystal id badly marked. If light. Can be polished

Here's the big question. Will she wear it?

You go to the trouble and expense and it sits in a box and never worn

I would suggest buying a nice leather (but reasonably priced) strap and then ask her if you get it repaired and cleaned up if she would like it first before anything is done. Some have their own tastes and some styles just don't fit (she may like loud clunky designs)

Saves on disappointment if she doesn't want it

DON

Etp095 likes this.