Forums Latest Members

Advice on purchasing a Speedy!!!

1. Art123 Feb 8, 2017

Hello guys! I am new to this forum, and really need some advice.

I am on the market for an Omega Speedmaster, and I was looking at the movements and since i do not want a really old watch; i am looking at watches with the 1863 and 863 movement. With that said, which movement should i buy? However, i believe the 861 movement has the plastic part that is self-lubricating, is it recommended to buy an older watch with the 861 movement instead? 1863 or 863 or 861!?

Also, i am afraid of the plastic crystal because it is prone to scratches and if its hit hard, the plastic might break... For those who have owned both movements and crystals, which one do you guys recommend?

2. roryoc11 Feb 8, 2017

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 8, 2017

Either movement is fine.

Plastic is easily rubbed out if you scratch it. You can do this yourself with $5 poly watch. Also, very inexpensive to replace if you were to break it.

Sapphire is so very expensive to replace if you scratch it. Omega wanted $600 to replace the sapphire crystal on my Ploprof. The scratch is so minor it can barely be seen.

There are so many different Speedmasters, what are some of the ones you have narrowed it down to?

I own Speedmasters with both hesalite and Sapphire. Much prefer the hesalite. I very much worry about scratching my ck2998.

Welcome to the message board.

Rodmar likes this.
  4. Art123 Feb 9, 2017

I know there is a lot of editions of the speedmaster, but I am looking to purchase the moon watch.

I guess the hesalite crystal is not a big deal if I can polish off the scratches, however, does the plastic crystal ever get yellow due to age?

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 9, 2017

Does it matter if it's less than$100.00 to have it replaced every 20 years or longer?

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 9, 2017

The Hessalite is a service part, so it will be changed every five years or so.
    Having said that, vintage owners of 2998's treasure their watches with original, near 60 year old plastic crystals.

7. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 9, 2017

Hessalite only way to go with speedies , they polish out so easily

I think an older watch with an 861 with recent service will likely at least hold value , maybe appreciate compared to a newer one....

But it is always great to get a new watch that is perfect

I am sure everyone on OF will be glad to help you narrow your focus