Forums Latest Members

Advice On Purchase, De Ville Co-axial

1. SJH Oct 30, 2012

Hello there... my first post.

I've previously only owned one Omega... a 1950's Seamaster.

I'm contemplating buying a 2003 Omega De Ville Co Axial Chronometer Watch model 4541.50.00 from a well known internet retailler and wonder if the asking price of £2.5K is a bit too much?

Also any other alternative recommendations?

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

Nice bracelet, but the movement in that is the Cal 3303 which wasn't Omega's finest hour. They're not really of the same quality as the new 8500/9300 movements. Nor as reliable as the Speedmaster movement or ETA 7750

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

What are you looking for, a chronograph, or a dress watch, or a sports watch?

4. SJH Oct 30, 2012

Chronograph

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

I would take a close look at the Bond 2225.80 and the black version of it, stronger movement in a sportier watch

6. SJH Oct 31, 2012

Okey D... thanks for the advice. I guess I just like this model.

I'm not overly concerned about the movements as such.

Maybe just concerned that it is good value and I'm assuming a relatively rare model for an Omega as I'm not seeing a lot of them around?

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2012

When Ash says not a same quality movement, he means it is known to have reliability issues, that is; breaking. I am sure you are concerned that your investment both works, holds value and is not spending all of its time in the repair shop.

8. SJH Oct 31, 2012

Right.

Understood.

I always had this belief that Omega were great in the reliability stake, and I guess that should concern me. I'm lucky enough to own a nice selection of watches including Rolex and Breitling through to more modest but stunning brands such as Raymond Weil. More recently I bought an incredibly reliable everyday Christopher Ward... what value! Whilst the Rolex brand can be lets say 'difficult' and my Navitimer has always gained then I assumed that Omega were simply sorted in easy to live with.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2012

Most all of them are, you just picked the odd one of the lot.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2012

Yea that movement was only used briefly and is now discontinued, it wasn't an Omega movement but rather an F. Piguet that had been modified a bit. It was sort of a stopgap solution between the early 2000s and the launch of the Omega Cal 9300 which is an all Omega design and truly superb. Its unique to a small number of models, none of which were mass volume pieces, that said there are still thousands around so its not rare, more forgotten. Keep in mind you have no manufacturer warranty on it either.

In summary the vast majority of Omegas, and all of their current lines are of that high standard. This one is just an odd duck from a decade ago that isn't.

11. SJH Nov 1, 2012

Really great advice and I thank you for it. I'm beginning to have second thoughts, and maybe need to consider extending my search but within the Omega family. Thanks so far...

12. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Nov 1, 2012

For the price range you have, you can't do much better than a Speedmaster Pro, or a Seamaster Pro Chrono. Two great chronographs, very different watches, but both absolutely dependable for quality and reliability

13. SJH Nov 2, 2012

I guess I've been dazzled by the look of the watch... still am to be fair and I think it would suit me as a fabulous everyday wear, but I'm looking at it objectively and thinking 1) too many negatives about the reliability 2) too much (£) by comparison to other Omega's... 3) still dont quite get the fact that it isn't 'rarer' than most Omega's as I simply cant find another one out there.

I aslo liked the Deville 'St Moritz', but I guess I'm heading along the same road? And to be fair I did want a s/s bracelet and not a leather strap. Decisions... decisions eh?

I'm not a James Bond fan so I have a weird aversion to owning something associated with a film. Just like watches!

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 2, 2012

Isn't the st moritz a cal 3313? Does that have the same issues as the 3303?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2012

Have you looked at the Speedmaster Pro at all? Its really one of the greatest chronographs of any maker, and happens to be affordable.