Advice on potential purchase - Omega 105.012-65

Hi OF,

Need some advice on a potential purchase. Seller is from Cali, Colombia and photos aren't great, but would like to see if anyone can tell if the dial has been refinished / repainted or if there are any other potential red flags on this piece. Hands and crown are service replacements but will come with originals (shown in pictures below).

Seller advised that they purchased the watch in person second hand in Florida in 2015, and last serviced in Nov 2019. Serial number is 22 million. Seller doesn't know how to open up the case back so no movement photos.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

The dial has not been refinished or repainted. The lume is well deteriorated as you probably can tell. I don't find it attractive in it's current state.

I wouldn't be buying a watch of this kinda from Colombia (or anywhere) without a movement shot. How does the seller know it's a 22m s/n if he can't open the back? If he had a watchmaker open it for him, then he can have the watch open it again to take a photo.

Thanks gdupree. I did have some concerns that the "T's" on the "T Swiss Made T" may have been refinished. Agree on your point that tough to confirm movement is a 22mil serial, and will need to open up the movement upon receipt to confirm, in the event of purchase. Unsure though that if this is inaccurate, whether it would be covered by Paypal's buyer protection.

Agree with above. The lume is very unappealing but maybe you are ok with it or prepared to relume it? I can not even tell if the spare pushers are correct from this pic. Also hard to tell state of polishing from these pics. For me this is an easy pass.

Spare pushers look correct (fatter vs thinner replacement pusher tubes). To my eye looks polished but not aggressively. Intention would be to get it re-lumed, but yea I'm on the fence on this one and requesting better photos to make a call.

I have seen T's to be aligned lower than Swiss Made at times. I don't have any suspicions about the the dial. It's not an attractive dial, but it's authentically unattractive one 😉. Jokes aside, the attractiveness is subjective but the authenticity is not in question.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-dial-crooked-ts.57519/#post-711312
387316-385d6d48519f99fade95d2d777f8d558.jpg

Since you asked about any other concerns, you may consider that with badly decomposed lume, the tritium flakes/dust come loose and are free to fall about the movement and eventually cause wear and problems. This is another reason I would want to see a movement shot and proof of service in 2019. Given the hands are replaces and old parts are intact, it probably was indeed serviced at some point, but a movement shot could give clues to the quality of work done, and confirm the S/N... I can't speak to Paypals protection exactly, but I would definitely not be risking that.

Awesome thanks heaps for the above shot gdupree, I must say I had never seen the T's aligned lower before which was what raised suspicion. Agree on your point on the movement though as my understanding is the 321's aren't nearly as easy to service as the 861's should there be issues.

Appreciate your input on this!

Spare pushers look correct (fatter vs thinner replacement pusher tubes). To my eye looks polished but not aggressively. Intention would be to get it re-lumed, but yea I'm on the fence on this one and requesting better photos to make a call.
Awesome thanks heaps for the above shot gdupree, I must say I had never seen the T's aligned lower before which was what raised suspicion. Agree on your point on the movement though as my understanding is the 321's aren't nearly as easy to service as the 861's should there be issues.

Appreciate your input on this!

Yeah, I agree with all of the above. It's a good relume candidate (james hyman). You sound like you know what you're into, so if the price is right and you like it, go for it. But I would be cautious about verifying everything possible before purchase. Cheers.

Can you share the price? Based on some issues to address and service you have to factor that into the selling price
Keep in mind that shipping, if you are required to pay, to Colombia is expensive and customs is a challenge

Sure, I did not end up bidding on this and it traded away on eBay for $4,250, which I think was a generous price given the condition and lack of decent photos / missing movement photos, along with the challenges associated with the location.

That being said I’ve noticed prices picking back up from late March / April so I suspect such pieces are only going to get more expensive going forward.

Sure, I did not end up bidding on this and it traded away on eBay for $4,250, which I think was a generous price given the condition and lack of decent photos / missing movement photos, along with the challenges associated with the location.

That being said I’ve noticed prices picking back up from late March / April so I suspect such pieces are only going to get more expensive going forward.

the bracelet alone is worth 35-40% of that closing price but there was a gambling aspect to the movement it is more than $4250 in parts but ideal for someone needing hands, crown, case etc 321 movement would be a nice bonus

the bracelet alone is worth 35-40% of that closing price but there was a gambling aspect to the movement it is more than $4250 in parts but ideal for someone needing hands, crown, case etc 321 movement would be a nice bonus

Largely agree with this, though I’m not a dealer and should the movement turn out to be a dud I would be stuck with the hassle of listing this for parts (pain in the ass) plus dealing with an uncertain eBay and PayPal policy. On the flip side it was probably worth the risk, but my thinking went that I want a Speedmaster which I’d like to keep for a while, and this one probably wasn’t it.

Largely agree with this, though I’m not a dealer and should the movement turn out to be a dud I would be stuck with the hassle of listing this for parts (pain in the ass) plus dealing with an uncertain eBay and PayPal policy. On the flip side it was probably worth the risk, but my thinking went that I want a Speedmaster which I’d like to keep for a while, and this one probably wasn’t it.

agree - if you want a clean speedy this is not the one. This forum is a good place for an honest piece

talk to the seller on zoom showing the watch and get the details you need per suggestions.